Thread: Peruvian Pelican over Lima Harbor, #2

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Peruvian Pelican over Lima Harbor, #2

Attached Images Attached Images

Same spot as my previous post: a fishing harbor in Lima in the fog. Different Peruvian Pelican, as judged by the color on his mammoth bill. This one is also full frame, but here I moved the pelican just slightly aft to give him some room to fly into.

D7200, 500f4, ISO 3200, 1/1250s @ f/6.3 manual. Gitzo and Mongoose.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the detail and flight pose on the bird, colours look great. Although the BG is nice Bill, I personally preferred the BG on your previous post, probably because I seen more of the boat, but its different tastes I suppose. But, very nice as is.

TFS

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image is nine but would look better with a clear background IMO, Bill.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill, excellent flying pose captured here with the raised wings, and well exposed on the blacks. I quite like how he is framed between the two different coloured boats.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kind of fun to have the bird framed between the boats. I always like to see something different.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I find my eye is moving nicely through this frame, investigating the boats, the colors and the bird. I very much like it, Bill. That said, I think that the bird needs more pop, a livlier and sharper eye and the underwing lifted as far as brightness. I'm wondering about doing something like saturating the blue, the green and the orange of his beak and going very modern and almost graphic with this one, bringing emphaisis to the colors and the design more than the bird???

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Grace. Your suggestion captured my imagination. Is this what you had in mind? It goes a few steps beyond realistic, but it does grab your eye.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the shot Bill, I too was about to suggest bringing out a little more detail in the eye, I think the repost as you indicate is a little OTT.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill colors in Pane 7 are way overdone. Way. Starting with the original some NIK/CEP work would really help the underwing. See my comment on Gail Bisson's hen merganser in flight image.

How long were you in Lima? Did you get to due the Inca Terns up close? Was there much else to photograph? a

ps: the boats add a neat touch.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the wing position, exposure and composition. A different and interesting image Bill.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie. Yes, well overcooked as I noted.

We were only in Lima for a morning of photography, on our way to the Peruvian Amazon. We arrived at dinnertime, and by prior arrangement with a local guide, Geoffrey and I were picked up at the hotel before dawn the next morning. We said "Take us to the Inca Terns", which he did, at the fishing harbor/fish market pier. Besides the Inca Terns and Peruvian Pelicans there were several gulls new to me, with the Belcher's Gull being the most cooperative. Here are several Inca Tern shots:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ight=inca+tern

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ight=inca+tern

We then went to a private reserve south of Lima, where the highlights were Many-colored Rush Tyrant, White-cheeked Pintail, Grey-hooded Gull, Amazilia Hummingbird and Vermilion Flycatcher, plus others. The larger national preserve nearby offered lots of other specialties, if we had just had more time. Our guide dropped us off at the hotel just in time to meet my wife and other travel companions for lunch before catching the flight to Iquitos. Altogether we probably had 5 hours in Lima that morning, half of which was spent in traffic or in heavy fog. But a very productive few hours of photography.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many, many thanks Bill I am gonna try to e-mail you now. a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.