Thread: Peruvian Pelican over Lima Harbor

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Peruvian Pelican over Lima Harbor

Attached Images Attached Images

Endemic to coastal Peru and Chile, this large pelican is almost twice the bulk of our Brown Pelican. An opportunistic bird like most pelicans, he often frequents fishing harbors such as this one in Lima where I captured this image on a foggy morning last June. It's for that reason that I rather like the fishing boat, to give the image some context, although I suspect some will find it a distraction. Either way, let me know what you think. Full-frame image, with little PP except some Levels to pull him out of the fog, and USM.

D7200, 500f4, ISO 3200, 1/1250s @ f/6.3 manual, gitzo and mongoose.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill,

This is a high key shot that I love! The boat seems to add something to the image that most high key shots don't have ... a bit of a sense of scale and position/perspective. Great choice!

No nits from me Bill!

TFS
    Ross

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like this and far from finding the boat distracting ,I find myself wanting to see more of the boat.
    Man, that sounds like one humungous bird!

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful flight image of this majestic giant, Bill. The boat and its degree of softness and location adds to the quality/depth of the image.

Tiny nit would be to bring a bit more detail out in the eye if it's there. Great as posted.

Geoffrey

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Getting the fishing boat into the frame was a good idea. Well seen and photographed, Bill.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, the boat does take this image up a notch. As does the fog. I like the flight pose and the colour on the bird.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone. Yes, Gail, I had the same reaction -- a bit more of the boat would have been nice.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the boat but would have loved a wider view to include at least some water below the hull. The dark tones could go brighter. My NIK CEP 50/50 recipe would be perfect for that. a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Artie. Yes to the boat. In retrospect this was a setting where a large zoom lens would have been ideal. My first stab at processing this one did have the dark tones a little brighter, but to my eye it felt like it needed a little more pop to pull him out of the fog. Thanks for looking.

10. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post