Thread: Mountain Bluebird Female

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mountain Bluebird Female

Attached Images Attached Images

This photo was taken in a rural setting near Richmond, Ontario, Canada. Conditions were early morning with a cloud obstructed sun.

My Canon EOS 7D mkII, EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens, and 1.4x teleconverter were resting on my left arm atop the opened car window (car used as a blind). Settings were f/8, 1/250s, ISO 1600, +1.5 EV for ETTR, 560mm. Shot RAW and processed in Lightroom.

Aside from regular processing, I cropped a 6.5MP image from 20MP original, cloned out a few bright areas the top of the post, burned the right half of the post, created a catchlight in the eye, and applied NR to background.

Critiques very much appreciated - Thanks for having a look :)

Ross
    Last edited by Ross Taylor; 12-13-2015 at 03:11 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ross, great pose from this little lady, and I really like the blue of the wings against her grey plumage. I like the weathered post with the hint of lichen on it. Love the colour of your BG - what is it?

3. Thanks Ross Taylor thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Stu :)

The post is part of a fence around a farm. The background is a farmers field that slopes up from the road. It may have been a hay field ... but I am not sure (born a city guy) Lol.

Actually the farmer came out all concerned why there was a couple of cars across the street with long lenses pointing at his property. When I explained to him that it was for a rare bird, he rolled his eyes and went back to his house Lol.

Is the BG is a bit too bright Stu? I, like the bird, am sitting on the fence uncertain with the BG brightness.

Ross

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Ross.
    Really like the IQ of the bird and the great perch.
    I like the small in the frame theme.
    The catchlight that you added is excellent. Would never have known you placed it there.
    I am fine with the brightness of the BG but could see a version with the brightness reduced about 5 %.
    Gail

6. Thanks Ross Taylor thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A sweet gal! I love the blues of the wings, and they go well with the yellow BG. Weathered post looks good. I do wish for the bird to be slightly larger in the frame, but I understand the predicament as far as distance to subject goes. Stills works fine as is.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image Ross, I like everything about it. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com