Thread: Ballerina in the Sky

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ballerina in the Sky

Attached Images Attached Images

Captured this Greater Yellowlegs exhibiting its fluttering behavior in the sky. The show they put on during mating season is so much fun to watch, but not so easy to capture b/c they move around so much and so quickly. I was lucky to have captured this sequence. At times it seems as though they exhibit this behavior during territorial disputes, but I feel it's more likely to "show off." Hope you like it.

Canon 1D4, Canon 500L
    F5.6, 1/2000sec, ISO 400, manual mode
    Feisol tripod, Jobu head

Thank you in advance for any comments and critiques.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Marina!

Love your "Ballerina in the Sky"!

I am truly humbled by your continuous support for this Forum, be it with comments or images - thank you from the heart

This is so lovely, perfect composition and stunning colours, your selection and arrangement of the frames allows the viewer to perceive the "dance" through the movement of the bird's wings , images flow smoothly and the story is told in a continual and explicit manner. Love the IQ of each and every frame and the BG is just awesome!

I tried - unsuccessfully - to capture a hammerkop in flight today, low light and my subject was looking so much like the BG in terms of colours - I eventually gave up:) So what a wonderful surprise, and what a pleasure to view those stunners from you tonight - thank you once again! Wishing you a great week ahead and looking forward to more Story Sequences from you... Hope I manage to post something soon but it won't be birds LOL, it'll have to be something easy, like elephants or lions...I promise it'll be a fun sequence though!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a wonderful sequence and perfect title. Congrats on catching this action. What a fantastic view you had. I truly enjoy finding behavior like this as well as seeing it when captured by others. Birds have some wonderful behaviors to observe.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful! Great detail against a lovely BG. I love the position of the legs in the last one -- very ballerina-like!