Thread: Dark-eyed Junco ID Request

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Dark-eyed Junco ID Request

This individual showed up in my yard on a brief pit stop during migration with a few other regular, slate-colored birds in October 2013. Is it possible this could be a Dark-eyed Oregon? The colors are as near to natural as metered from my Canon 50D at the time. The photo was taken in Niagara County next to Lake Ontario in Northwestern New York State.

Opinions on a correct ID would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Jonathan

Name:  IMG_3748 (3).jpg
Views: 74
Size:  250.5 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not an Oregon. Do you have any side views? The back stripes and feather edgings on the back look oddly sparrow-like, and Dark-eyed Junco x White-throated Sparrow hybrids have been known to occur. Also, you might back this one out a bit and be a little less aggressive on the sharpening. It's make it a little tough to assess field marks vs. processing artifacts.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Paul, Thank you for your comments. I was aggressive without knowing it when practicing for the first time with PSE-7.

This is the only side view I have. It may be the same bird, or one with similar coloring. This photo was taken within about 18" of the first. It was shot a week later and an hour earlier in early evening under near identical ambient light.

Regards,

Jonathan

Name:  IMG_4882 - E (3).jpg
Views: 63
Size:  143.6 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Still a tough shot but it seems that the edging is likely within normal range for a young "Slate-colored" type junco.