Thread: Barasingha doe

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Barasingha doe

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks i like to try to contribute to this month theme ...... not sure if this works ....
    So this image does show a Barasingha female i photographed in Kaziranga NP in northern India .They seem to be plentyful there but i actually missed them many times or just overlooked them for the key species .
    They do look somehow a bit weird around the nose ...
    I worked a bit on this image to get the desired " key lightning " as the BG was not as dark as in this post .The toughest part was to avoid the hair going darker so masking tricks took place .

Canon EOS 1D MK II n
    EF 500 IS L + 1,4 TC
    Beanbag support

F 5,6 ;Iso 200 ; 1/1500 sec

Processed with DPP and PS CC ; slight crop from RHS and bottom .

Thanks for watching and commenting to my last posting

Cheers Andreas

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas - I think this works for the theme but probably would have gone even darker in the bg. I'm not familiar with this species so nice to see. Looks like they have a bit of red as well as big ears. Nice control of the HL. Is the fur coarse? It looks it from the neck area.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, I agree with Rachel here. Vere nice pose and 'spot light' effect on the subject's head. Nice warm light too. Looks like you had a good time in Kaziranga! TFS.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas -- Lovely image ! I am quite familiar with its cousin the Hard Ground Barasingha's from Kanha national Park in Central India , and they do have this reddish coat , so for me colors look good and the framing also works . TFS !

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely processed Andreas, I like the end product, the light and shade are nicely handled. Had it been mine I would have been tempted to lift the shadows in the deer a little more, - just out of curiosity, but I know you have left the image as presented for good reason, I suspect the presentation is optimal.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not sure about all that you have done but I do like the final result, like things in shadows or vegetation, this fits the bill beautifully.

Keith.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas, I guess this must be similar to a Sambar Deer?

The light/shadow does look a bit dark, however I'm on the laptop so not ideal!!! I like the framing and with the pricked up ears, a nice alert pose, but as you has the ISO I feel more DoF, nose to eyes looks as if it's just/fraction tailing off (??).

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andeas,just stunning love the alert look,I'm not familiar with the species at all ,so many thanks for sharing her.I really like the lighting Andreas,but somehow would like to see more of the in shadow side of her face. I'm also very curious as to what a darker background would bring to the image as has already been suggested. It's beautiful Andreas,it's fascinating watching you guys muse and add these little extra notches to an image!

Take care

Stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much folks for all your comments , as always much appreciated to get maybe a different view from others .

Rachel - they do have a somehow more coarse looking fur , but could be that i introduced some more in post and i think i do see what you mean , will keep an eye on it next time .

Steve - yes it is a Deer species , so somehow related to the Sambar , way smaller and they do live in open and swampy areas and there hooves are designed for that as the Sambar prefers forest habitat with a lot more density .
    I agree with you about the darkness overall , but that was my target , to create the ´key lightning´at least i understood it that way .

Again thanks so much folks , cheers Andreas

10. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I quite like the dark/contrasty feel to this one, Andreas.
    Nice red earthy tones - is that their natural colour or an effect of the light?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Morkman thanks for for your comment , much appreciated .
    This species is slightly reddish in the fur .... but became for sure amplified by the low light and my edits for achieving this ´key lightning ´effect .

Cheers Andreas