Thread: Pacific Coast Highway

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pacific Coast Highway

This started out as a relic from 2003. It was taken with my first digital camera, back when I was still shooting jpgs and had either not, yet, heard of HDRs or didn't realize it was possible to use the technique without getting a look I didn't want. Recently, a photo friend of mine who is very capable with his camera but wants to do more in processing, mentioned HDRs. For his benefit, I searched back in my files for something that didn't have clipped highlights or shadows but could be improved by generating bracketed exposures in Adobe Camera Raw. Meanwhile, I was thinking about a presentation I'll be doing, soon, on layers & masks, and this image seemed like it would work as an HDR example and to demonstrate what layers & masks can do.

Name:  062203_0132-_ACRHDR.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  393.2 KB

Nikon D1, ISO 200, f/27, 1/20 sec, zoom lens at 72mm

processing highlights
    • The original jpg as well as +/- 2 EV exposure brackets from Camera Raw were saved as DNGs and processed with no enhancements in Nik HDR Efex.
    • flipped horizontally for composition
    • My standard plug-ins, Topaz Simplify, Alien Skin Snap Art, and Fractalius were used. Because of the nature of the land and water, an additional layer of each was needed.
    • Two layers of the same Belle Fleur texture were used (both blurred) with different blend modes and opacities.
    • The birds, which I'm sure have never flown over the coast of California, were from a shot taken in France about a year and a half ago. (They've also been seen flying, albeit it in the opposite direction, over the shore of Lake Erie in another image.)
    • The water was warmed with a Photo Filter adjustment layer.
    • A masked layer of Nik Color Efex Tonal Contrast finished things off. For the first time, I used Photoshop's Quick Mask feature (on this and other layers in the stack). It's a technique I'll be relying on regularly. Diane Miller has an excellent article on the use of Quick Masks on the Adorama Learning Center, http://www.adorama.com/alc/0008106/a...ual-fill-flash Thanks, Diane.

Lifetime Member Michael Gerald-Yamasaki's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dennis,

Greetings. The composition seems just right, with fore, mid, and distant elements clearly defined. At first glance the birds seem also just right, but as I looked at it they seemed just a tad close. I'm not sure if it is the mind focusing the image but I detect a red-blue splotchy pattern (reminiscent of that old time blurred sensor noise) in the distant sky. I like this one of yours. It has an interesting combination of the Dennis Bishop look and a realistic haze. Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dennis, I really like this too. The composition...with the leading lines of the road on the right, and the mountains fading in the distance...is spot on. I also like the varied hues of greens and browns, and the contrasting blue hues of the water. The birds seem a bit large to me for their location in the landscape. But that doesn't really detract from the overall image. Any chance your presentation on layers and masks will be videotaped, so you can share it with us?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice composition, color, and processing. I didn't think the birds looked too big if they were flying over the land I didn't focus on them until others mentioned it, but I like seeing them in more detail.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone.

Michael, what you see in the sky is the result of a couple things. In the original photo, the sky is quite uniform. Immediately after my Topaz Simplify layer, I always apply an Alien Skin watercolor wash layer which I have set to vary the colors a reasonable amount. It's the wash layer that put the variability in the sky. Although it's at 18% opacity in this image (lower than normal), the blend mode is Hard Light, so if changes things. Subsequent layers -- particularly the two with the texture -- altered the colors in the sky and everywhere else. The first of those two layers is Color Burn, which I rarely use. I reduced its effect on the sky with a gray mask but certainly didn't eliminate it.

Wendy, we don't have video-taping capability (which might be a good thing ).

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely layers of landscape interwoven with the water layer and sky layer. I like the angular lines in this adding a subtle rugged-ness. I really, really want to see you process these types of images with your Dennis-magic! Beg, borrow or steal a video camera !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very pleasant image, with nice processing.

Almost any DSLR will shoot good video. A few minutes to nail focus and lighting and hit the button. The microphone isn't much, but if you use a short lens it should pick up enough. Tell the audience to be quiet....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi, Dennis, I love your processing and another vote for being able to see your workflow on video
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just perfect, love the mood it conveys, and great processing Dennis!