Thread: Windows 7, Windows 10 and CS6

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Windows 7, Windows 10 and CS6

I keep getting invites to upgrade my Windows 7 to Windows 10 at zero cost. The trouble is I hear of people expressing great reservations over Windows 10 saying it is slower than 7 which surprises me. Just a couple of folk have said Windows 10 is ok.
    I am given to understand that Windows 7 will not be supported before too long and I am wondering if I did install Windows 10 just how my DPP4 and CS6 would perform on that platform.
    The general impression I have is one of leave well alone but it does concern me how long the "well" will last. Has anyone any reservations over Windows 10 and CS6 and then of course would I possibly have to consider the the latest cloud version to get good functionality in Windows 10. Any comments or advise would be most welcome.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

There's no real advantage going from 7 to 10 that I can see. It's mainly a look and feel. My business partner couldn't resist updating his 4-year old desktop from 7 to 10 and experienced some drivers that weren't supported, leading to a new network card and a couple of other annoyances. I run 10 on my home desktop and my Surface Book, but have a W7 computer at work. There's no real issue moving between the two systems. My CS3 wouldn't work properly on 10 and the freeware, Irfanview wouldn't work properly for me on 10, so I paid 150-bucks for the excellent Photo Mechanic. I went to Creative Cloud for my LR/PS fix.

My vote is to resist the urge to go from 7 to 10. I hear that 8 and 8.1 are pitiful and you'd want to go to 10 if you had those, but that's not your case.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I upgraded to 10 Jon, and found that my laptop runs better and slightly faster. I had an issue with photoshop cc 2015, after the upgrade, it caused flickering on the screen, but I overcome that issue by resetting my card settings. All is well now and I am glad I upgraded. I upgraded from Windows 7.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I resisted the jump to Win10 for a long time, figuring as you did that "if it ain't broke don't fix it". But my Win 8.1, while not totally "broke", was an annoying interface. I recently made the jump, and haven't had any problems. It is certainly not slower on my machine; if anything maybe just a tad faster. I'm still using CS5, which is working fine. I haven't yet made the move to Creative Cloud but suspect I will be forced to some time in the future.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am currently running W8.1 which was forced on me when I bought a new computer. I hated the interface but have been able to make it run like W7 by installing Classic Shell software (Free). I have been putting off installing W10 because of my W8.1 experience. I am in no hurry to upgrade but will probably have to before the free offer runs out.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks very much everyone for your comments and sharing your experiences.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, I just upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 on my HP workstation laptop. So far, so good. Startup seems quite a bit faster and some of the programs start more quickly too. I like the new look of the interface a lot. It feels familiar when you come from W7, but with a more contemporary design and everything is slightly better organized. I'm using CS5 which runs well. The only programs that were discarded because of lack of compatibility were the on board HP tools for managing things that Windows also manages (like security and access, network connections, etc). Luckily, the HP software managing the calibrated Dreamcolor screen wasn't affected. The biggest plus I found so far next to the faster startup is that the Windows explorer is now able to show thumbnails of RAW files. It also seems better able to integrate/sync different Windows devices (Apple style), but that's only interesting if you have a Windows tablet or phone.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry van Dijk View Post
    Hi Jon, I just upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 on my HP workstation laptop. So far, so good. Startup seems quite a bit faster and some of the programs start more quickly too. I like the new look of the interface a lot. It feels familiar when you come from W7, but with a more contemporary design and everything is slightly better organized. I'm using CS5 which runs well. The only programs that were discarded because of lack of compatibility were the on board HP tools for managing things that Windows also manages (like security and access, network connections, etc). Luckily, the HP software managing the calibrated Dreamcolor screen wasn't affected. The biggest plus I found so far next to the faster startup is that the Windows explorer is now able to show thumbnails of RAW files. It also seems better able to integrate/sync different Windows devices (Apple style), but that's only interesting if you have a Windows tablet or phone.
    Thanks Jerry I have taken the plunge! I have reserved my update to Windows 10 - just waiting for the email message to commence installation.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I hope it works for you! Apparently you can switch back to 7 within a month if you don't like 10.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well just to let you know the transfer to Windows 10 has so far proven to be just fine I had one minor glitch because I use 2 monitors and for some reason my mouse went off the main screen but now it's ok. I can use it practically the same as Windows 7 so to all intents and purposes it has been seamless.
    Conversion of a transfer of a raw file from DPP4 to CS6 is however still taking 40 sec.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Well just to let you know the transfer to Windows 10 has so far proven to be just fine I had one minor glitch because I use 2 monitors and for some reason my mouse went off the main screen but now it's ok. I can use it practically the same as Windows 7 so to all intents and purposes it has been seamless.
    Conversion of a transfer of a raw file from DPP4 to CS6 is however still taking 40 sec.
    Hi Jonathan.

I am still using Windows 8.1 but my files take 12 sec. to transfer to PS from DPP. may be you are using a slower processor? just curious. I am also tempted to switch to Windows 10.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Carlos Vindas View Post
    Hi Jonathan.

I am still using Windows 8.1 but my files take 12 sec. to transfer to PS from DPP. may be you are using a slower processor? just curious. I am also tempted to switch to Windows 10.
    I am probably using what is regarded as antiquated equipment:
    Intel(R) Core (TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200@2.33 2.34GHz with 8GB Ram, 64 bit operating system