Thread: The worker..

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The worker..

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Guys,

This was taken about 6 weeks ago which is early spring here in Perth. I think this might be a construction worker, I am guessing flat out building a nest. I have never seen a bird as dirty as this before... Anyway it was foggy morning at the local Nature reserve and this Cocky (commonly known as pink & Gray, don't know why...) landed and sat up to pose on a post close to me.. Very happy with the shot..

1D4 and 500 F4 series 1 on a tripod
    1/3200 sec, F4, ISO 2000
    Converted in DPP4, finished off in PS6. Full Frame

DON

BPN Viewer
    Malanda, Tropical North Queensland, Australia
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice photo Don.
    That has to be the dirtiest Galah I have ever seen.
    Great eye contact though.
    Paul

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Don I like the way you have captured this mucky bird ,like to see some pristine birds but the ones in this sort of state appeal to me, good job we are not all alike.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don,

It is really nice to see the mud on the bird, instead of the photographer, for a change ;) I feel it adds character to the shot.

I quite like the darker feel of the background, perhaps a little underexposed, but it completes the photo in my eyes.

A little more clearance between the tail and the bottom of the frame may be a consideration if you have the room.

TFS
    Ross

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A different image and one that works well, the pose and the plumage invite close inspection and the quality is there.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don, long time no see , hope life is good with you.

Pretty good techs and processing for the MKIV, just watch the Blacks & shadow areas don't get clogged. Based on the techs you were fighting light, but it does look a bit dark in the mid tones?

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don, excellent feather detail, and love the greys and pinks - they go so well together. I feel the dirt on the wing does add something different, as it goes with your title. No one else has mentioned it, is that not an injury above the beak.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, All is well with me... Just became a Grandad again... Thanks for the valued comments, i might redo this image (again) with a view to improving the seperation of the tail feathers to the BG. You are right, the red channel is blocked here, and I might lift the exposure overall just a tad. This conversion is my first serious attempt using DPP4 and I ended up with a better image than my first attempt. Before I hear a whole lot of "I told you so" and because that debate has been over done anyway, I want to see if the improvement is a result of my efforts/adjustments as opposed to better software etc.. I have a feeling its just me...

Hi Stu, thanks for your comments also.. I too like the colour of theses birds, fortunately they are common and ground feeders so easily to get a good POV on.. Not sure if the beak is an injury or not.. The bird did not look the least bit distressed however and flew away after a few minutes checking me out. I might post a 'launch' image of this bird which is why the shutter has been kept High.

DON

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don, congratulations, bet everyone is chuffed on the new arrival, nice one.

I just quickly looked at it and it's not too far off on the exposure I feel, and the techs highlighted that you were fighting light. The debate about RAW converters will always continue and DPP has come a long way in recent times, so a good attempt in the initial start with DPP4, but your understanding has also greatly developed leading to you having a better understanding in what needs to be done to an image and then using the require/correct elements/tools of the software to bring out the best from the image. Would like to see more.

All the very best Don.

Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve.. I was light limited (foggy) but the light was well diffused by the fog and what I would call quality light. I had a quick play last night and I know I can do better than posted.. Just need a bit of time.!