Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Harvest Mouse. C ?

Attached Images Attached Images

Nikon D4
    Sigma lens
    1/160@f14
    iso 1240.

Explain C ? been breeding a few of these smashing little Mammals ,a few got out and stayed in my garden ,so put a few meal worms and bits on my garden plants and was able to get a few shots with my macro lens. As far as I know these are the only Mammals in the UK with a prehensile tail which I tried to get in focus.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith what a lovely shot of this little critter .
    I love the overall image design with a stunning soft BG .
    You did very well with the given techs ..... but i think you need more SS for the very fine mouse hairs to be as fine as they are in nature . I think you could have pushed the cam to a very much higher ISO setting without loosing IQ .
    Overall a bit thin and light in terms of color/tone , a bit like Mike´s seals from yesterday . Well this is my personal view .
    Here in your image , the enemy is the green channel ...... no wonder why as the colors are dominated by greens / yellows .
    So i did the same with this image as with mike , well almost .

This time i multiplied the green channel twice with itself , masked the RGB composite with the green channel from BG layer to avoid the channel blending in the darker tones .
    Some tiny bit of " color correction " with a HSL layer and gave the mouse a bit more contrast .

Just try to get your head around this ..... channel blending is sooooooo easy !!!!

Lovely shot all around , nice work , TFS Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

LOL Andreas, our posting will cross.

This really has the cute factor and I'm also very pleased to see you have pushed the ISO too Keith, big congrats on that.

The image is 'thin' but basically too bright, perhaps your monitor needs calibrating Keith. Just a few tweaks in the Exposure and you are 60% there. Andreas and I work similar ways, but often different routes, for me you can do a lot within HSL in relation to the colour, but adjusting the Green does help. There is more detail you can extract, but I know your 'limitations' here I think. Like the curvature of the flower and the way the front legs are splayed out as the mouse forages. Just move the crop up a fraction to remove the very hint of the bud coming into picture, plus two dust bunnies.

Anyway overall a great image Keith and one that brought a smile too.

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith - Always nice to see something a bit different and as Steve said a cuteness factor. I really like the splash of color from the flower buds. DOF works but I might have gone f9 or f11 for a little more ss. I agree about the brightness and tones. For me Steve's rp works best.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes LOL Steve , in germany we say - straight translated so do not get it wrong - two idiots one thought !!!!!
    After i saw your post , i think yours is closer to reality in terms of color intensity . For me it might be half way between the two what you have not enough ......... i have the rest for it , LOL . Well for sure very subjective opinion .

Just wondering why you say Keith pushed the ISO ? ISO 1240 is not really pushing the iso IMHO .

Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just wondering why you say Keith pushed the ISO ? ISO 1240 is not really pushing the iso IMHO .
    It's not Andreas, but for Keith (who i'm sure doesn't mind me saying) has been rather hesitant in going for a faster SS based on increasing the ISO and then the issue (if applicable), on how to deal with it. As I have been saying, faster SS, higher ISO are what modern camera are designed for and hopefully this has illustrated the point.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh my, what a sweet character! This is awesome, Keith!

You got some lovely RP's from Steve and Andreas, as well as sound advice...if you were concerned about high ISO you could have dropped to F9 as per Rachel's suggestion - a compromise:)
    Love this, stunning background and colourful "perch", cuteness factor no. 10 on the little Mouse - love the pose there and the comp is great, hope these little guys stick around and you delight us with some more images in the future

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I personally feel the DoF is right, how far were you to the subject Keith?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, I agree DoF works perfectly here. Keith, I only suggested a drop in F-stop as an alternative, because it seems you tend to avoid high ISO values. Do push that D4, you'll be surprised with the results

And I am waiting for more Harvest Mice, please

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks to you all, will try to answer your questions re colour and Dof,Steve I was about 2ft away from this and thought that F14 would give me better Dof which I think I have achieved with the tail being about in focus. Gabriela not really worried about the iso just forgot to up it, Do understand what Andreas and Steve say about colour and technically am sure that you have a point but knowing these Mice and seeing them every day made a point of getting the true colour as I see it, but do agree the flowers look a lot better on the reposts.
    I do learn a lot from these comments and only wish the old brain was a bit younger, much appreciated.

Cheers Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great thinking Keith, and I understand forgetting the ISO, it happens to all of us.

But that does not excuse you from capturing more mice at some nice SS, LOL.

Love your little mouse, reminds me of the Three Striped Mice of the Kalahari...

Have a super Sunday,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I remember you posting your smashing little 3 Striped mice Gabriela.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith, thanks for the info and I think the DoF was right, but more ISO would have given a better SS, the D4 can take it. However, from the posting it still looks good, perhaps next time shoot them in better light, or do they start to think about a longer sleep now? If you need help to progress this further, please just drop either Andreas or myself a line.

As stated above, please post more!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Aww, it was not smashing, you are too kind! Cannot believe you remember that image, I posted it long ago.

I love those little critters, please be so kind to share more images of them.

Chat soon Keith, have a wonderful Sunday!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith -- Very late on this , but a fabulous image , the cuteness factor is just too high and the discussion initiated by this post is a great read . so TFS this image .

I like Steve's RP the best , hope you get that channel thing sorted out i am still struggling with it . :)

Lifetime Member Andre Pretorius's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Keith

A very cute little mouse! For me comp works here.

Both Andreas and Steve's RP addresses the brightness of the image, which I feel was too much in OP.

I would like some more detail in the fur- up the S/S or try and use some sort of support, like Monopod?

Andreas- I am still illiterate to read channels...
    Regards

Andre.

www.gappimages.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice indeed Keith, the diagonal branch & comp are working well here, good advice on the techs from Steve & Andreas. Steve has just about nailed it with his RP, but would like it just a fraction lighter on the BG.

TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

High cuteness factor here Keith. I like the techs, the comp etc. Andreas and Steve have shown the way reg PP work. Well done.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks a lot to everyone much appreciated.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just a super cute shot Keith! I like Andreas' repost best...
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Morkel.

Keith.