Thread: "The Little Owlet That Could"

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default "The Little Owlet That Could"

Attached Images Attached Images

This image reminds me of the nursery rhyme "The Little Engine That Could," the story which is used to teach kids the benefits of hard work and a positive attitude. The lines "I think I can. I think I can. I know I can." came to mind when working up this image which was taken 2 days after my last post featured here if you haven't seen it. http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ead.php/131883. Moments before this image was taken, the Barred Owlet jumped off of the cavity tree for the first time onto a nearby tree trunk...in effect "branching" for the first time. Here the owlet is contemplating its next move.

Canon 1D4, Canon 500L
    F4, 1/500sec, ISO 800, manual mode
    Jobu head, Feisol tripod

Thank you in advance for your critiques and comments. They are always much appreciated.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting shot marina. One that needs the story to go with it.
    John

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the idea and the story to illustrate the image, or should that be the other way round? I would have liked to have seen just a glimpse of the eye as I feel this would have added more life to the image. Difficult from the angle you were photographing though.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

An interesting situation for sure but the framing completely puzzles me (why so much tree and why not include the whole bird?) and like David, I would have appreciated a good look at the eye that would have come with a much better head angle. a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Seen Tawny Owlets climb up large trees after falling to the ground using there beak and feet ,would also like to see the eye but do see where you are coming from with this, thanks for giving us a look Marina.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Without your narrative, this image makes no sense. Coupled with your words, I think that it could work well in a story-telling sequence with before and after images to complete the episode.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

As a singular shot I think it struggles a little for reasons already mentioned.

However, I'm sure that is not how you envisaged the shot, and I'd put good money on this working well as part of a series, maybe it would be nice to see them all together in the 'story sequences' section (disclaimer - I've not looked, sorry if you've already done that!)

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marina, I can almost feel the little guy thinking on how he is getting any further up the tree. Hope you managed to capture more images to 'extend' the story.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

While I love to capture bird photos with the perfect head angle in lovely light, lately, I try to tell a story with my images even if they may not follow the "rules" or be photographed under ideal circumstances. While BPN has provided me with a great foundation in terms of bird photography, I often find myself "coloring outside the lines." This was a difficult shoot/nest in less than ideal conditions, and the "branching" happened extremely fast. Frankly, if I had a better head angle on this owlet, there would be no story. I do have images of its entire body taken at this time but, for me, this is a more unique frame which conveys a story. It forces the viewer to think. My next couple of frames you may well prefer but for me, this image is far more thought-provoking.

Thank you all for looking and for your comments and critiques.
    Last edited by Marina Scarr; 11-16-2015 at 10:03 PM.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

10. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love it Marina. I can understand why the image is, as it is

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

With your story I find this image to be quite effective. A unique and different image that I enjoyed, TFS.