Thread: Ruddy Turnstone portrait

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ruddy Turnstone portrait

It's been a while since I posted anything here. It's been even longer since I had the chance to go out and photograph something. Waiting for a knee surgery is something, going through it is another, but going through the @#! rehab process is the worse. It requires a military-level discipline, alot of physical effort, and the results are barely noticeable unless you look over a 2-3 months period. Still a long way to go, but it's finally starting to pay off.

Anyway, about 2 months ago, I finally got medically cleared for kneeling (never thought this would ever sound exciting...). Time to take the dust off the camera and try to remember how it worked.

Perfect situation for shooting shorebirds: get into position, kneel down, get on my belly, wait for the birds to get close. And boy they did. I guess they figured out I was too crippled to be any kind of a threat... At some point I thought about running to the car to switch my 500mm for my 100-400mm, but ... yeah... not an option.

So instead I took this rare opportunity to go for close head portraits. Never had alot of opportunities to practice these.

Canon 7D, 500mm f4 + 1.4 (700mm), f/6.3, 1/2000. Slight crop for composition.

Name:  _MG_6474.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  166.3 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sympathise with your knee problem just add the same with a lot of my thigh bone and shin to go with it, hope your soon ok.
    Super feather detail and clarity with this image, sits very well on that BG,very nice indeed.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely portrait. The feather detail is terrific. Glad that you are able to get out and about again.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very sweet image. Love the details and the angle of the bird's head, adds to the sweetness. Glad to see your work again and continued healing with the knee.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lots to like here P-A.
    I wouldn't mind a bit more room on the RHS but that is a personal taste issue.
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful details and colours throughout. Maybe a wee bit more room on top.

Thanks for sharing

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey there P-A, bummer about the knee but at least things are looking up. I love creating portraits of birds, you did well here. I love that you left enough room at the bottom to include all of the dark breast mark, plus space. If mine I'd likely take care of the dark spot at lower right edge, and I agree with a tad more room above (and right to retain the ratio). Perfect head angle and nice feather detail.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent portrait. Beautiful colours, great details and nice composition.

Regards,
    Satish.