Thread: Advice on Storage for Photos

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Advice on Storage for Photos

I presently have my photos stored on my iMac with a 2T Hard Drive which is rapidly reaching capacity. I want to move then all to an external hard drive. Any suggestions on Brands & should i go to RAID storage. I will probably purchase 2- one for primary storage and the other for backup. They must be Mac compatible. I appreciate any and all advice.
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would definitely go RAID, both for storage if the image drive is separate and if the images are on the same drive as the OS. Then go buy a external drive like https://www.kanguru.com/ and do a triple back up.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shapiro View Post
    I presently have my photos stored on my iMac with a 2T Hard Drive which is rapidly reaching capacity. I want to move then all to an external hard drive. Any suggestions on Brands & should i go to RAID storage. I will probably purchase 2- one for primary storage and the other for backup. They must be Mac compatible. I appreciate any and all advice.
    Steve
    Take one of your external HDs offsite for total backup. (I know two people that lost all backup files because they were in the same building that caught fire). LaCie makes excellent external HDs, compatible with Apple. For the backups, you don't need RAID, but you may want it on your initial storage device, for the extra security during the times when you're not fully backed up.

Don't keep your trash. Be brutal in image selection and keep only the best, not ten copies of almost the same thing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

On my iMac I Have one external drive set up with time machine which has twice saved me from losing all my files after two external hard drive failures which apple replaced free of charge this is a total back up of my computer. For my images I have them saved to a external Mybook enclosure that has two drives mirrored in case one goes bad. I really should get a third drive and keep it off site as David pointed out.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy