Thread: Image size - problems with uploading to BPN

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Image size - problems with uploading to BPN

Every now and again I get a message telling me that the image I am trying to upload exceeds the 400k size. I always save for Web and use the Quality option preset to size the image to max size 395k. The odd thing is I have just posted an image on the bird forum - no problem but when I try to post an image on the macro forum I cannot.
    Even when the image has been sized to 365k the image in question will not load, I still get the error message. I have had this problem once or twice previously but then it just seems to clear itself - has anyone had similar problems (and their solutions)??

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan,

I had that problem, but I had "Resize to fit -- Long Edge" checked and 1200 pixels, along with "limit file size to 400k". Worked like a charm until I exported a vertical, as those have a 1000 pixel limit on the vertical edge. That's the only thing I can think of is that you're going over one or the other pixel limits. But I will be watching this thread for other input!

Thanks,
    Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Michael's idea is all I can think of. Was the second one a vertical?

Exporting from Lightroom is a piece of cake in this regard -- you can specify the proper parameters for BPN and save it as a preset (including .jpg format, vertical and horizontal dimensions, the 400K limit, and conversion to sRGB) and use that for all future exports. The profile will be automatically tagged. Works on the most complex layered PS file as well as a raw file.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, Did you check the actual size of your image in your OS after saving for web? I've ran into your problem before and when I checked the image size in Windows found out that it was actually just over 400k (2 or 5k) even though I had specified a max of 400k in the Save for web option in PS. Apparently PS is not exactly accurate when estimating final file size. I've noticed the same when saving a large high quality jpeg from a master file. PS also indicates a final output file size there and it's always way off.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The images were 1200 px - definitely - I use an Action for 1200 or 1000 px images. When I check the jpeg image size before placing in a folder Photoshop indicates the image is less then 400K, so maybe very now and then Photoshop is incorrect?. The last image I tried was a burnet moth on a seed head, there was quite a bit of structureless background so I cannot see the file being any larger than 400k. I saved it using my Optimise to 395k quality option and I also saved it using the Quality option where I lowered the value to the one determined by 395k . I will have another look today, in fact I just have and the upload seems to be working as normal!!!
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 11-04-2015 at 03:22 AM.