Thread: Crested Caracara

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Crested Caracara

Its been a fun few months of settling down in US and down south things are fun! The migration pattern here is a bit different than back home (read as india) but nevertheless fun. Shot this crested caracara near cameron prairie last month. Lots of raptors to shoot and lot to learn.

Canon 7D 2, 420mm, -0.3, 320, 1/4000

The image looks a bit soft here compared to the same file on my monitor!

Name:  0E6A1281.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  182.1 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice flight pose of a great looking raptor. It looks as though this image may have been taken in harsh light b/c I am seeing that details are lacking in some of the blacks on the bird's left wing. The near under wing looks good. These birds are difficult to photograph in harsh light.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a great bird to get in flight. The colors on these guys are fantastic. The bird looks sharp enough but as Marina mentioned the lighting and the shooting angle were not the best. It also looks like it was under exposed a bit. Its easy to forget to change your exposure when shooting in the bright blue sky. This should have been shot at a full stop over or even one and a third over. This will compensate for the meter wanting to keep things centered. The sky sometimes gets washed out, or allot of times it gets a high key look to it, but the subject is exposed properly. This would have given you better blacks and better detail. Also it looks like the nictitating membrane is closed.
    hope this helps :)
    Last edited by David Salem; 11-05-2015 at 11:52 PM.
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com