Thread: Little Owl with snack

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Little Owl with snack

Name:  warmlowl2.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  365.5 KB

Hi all,

Not been around much over the summer for one reason or another, but here's hoping everyone has been keeping well.

I had a trip up to one of Dennis Greenwoods little owl sites this evening and despite the owl not making an appearance at the desired time (typical as for once there was some stunning light to be had a few minutes earlier) I did like this low key shot. The settings should give some idea of the light levels at this point.

Canon 5d3
    500mm f4 is
    ISO 1600
    1/400th f4

The owl was suitably rewarded with a couple of mealworms!

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not sure why the title has 'with snack' - something to do with that auto suggest on my computer I think!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice overall image, Mike. The background compliment the bird, framing is good but maybe a little less canvas at the top.

4. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's a nicer image Mike than I expected ,you done a good job on the PP and a cracking stare from him

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a sweet image. I looked long and hard for the snack until I read what you wrote. With a bird that is still, I would have traded shutter speed for depth of field in this case as the sides of his head are falling outside the depth of field. If you ever try this, just make sure that your long lens technique is spot on, use a gentle touch on the shutter button and take a few shots. One at least will be sharp.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike the best bit about this for me is the eyes they look perfect to me,colour overall looks very good ,nice image.

Keith.

8. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dennis greenwood View Post
    That's a nicer image Mike than I expected ,you done a good job on the PP and a cracking stare from him
    Cheers Den, I didn't actually do too much, it was as he first landed and there was still a touch of light, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the file

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grace Scalzo View Post
    What a sweet image. I looked long and hard for the snack until I read what you wrote. With a bird that is still, I would have traded shutter speed for depth of field in this case as the sides of his head are falling outside the depth of field. If you ever try this, just make sure that your long lens technique is spot on, use a gentle touch on the shutter button and take a few shots. One at least will be sharp.
    Thanks Grace, I agree about the DoF. Ideally if he'd have come in about 10 minutes earlier I was set up at about ISO 800 1/100th f8. I suppose it's what keeps us coming back for more! I'll keep practicing the technique.

Mike