Thread: Florida in mid-October including some time in the Keys

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Florida in mid-October including some time in the Keys

I am going to be heading to Florida in mid-October for two weeks. I read a bunch of the old posts on locations to visit. I will be on the East side but I don't mind driving. On the east coast I was hoping to visit Green Cay for sure (I've been before) and possibly wakodahotchee or brian piccolo (for burrowing owls). I've also loved my visits to Merritt Island. On the west coast I was going to do Honeymoon Island (my godfather lives in Dunedin) and probably Ft. De Soto if it is good this time of year. Does anyone else have any good suggestions? I have a 600 f4 and a 100-400 so I do have the capability to get some reach. Does anyone else have any good suggestions? I was also going to head down to the keys and I was wondering if anyone has done any photography down there that was rewarding. If anyone has any interest in meeting up send me a private message!
    Thanks!!!
    John Flynn

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Vista View Park (4001 Southwest 142nd Avenue. Davie, FL 33330) has several borrowing owl nests particularly toward the end of the road at the top of the hill. This is an old landfill converted to a park so there are "hills" where people walk and exercise. This is a great place to see the owls. You'll find some nests near the GPS coordinates 26.069321, -80.343531

Also, the Florida Keys Wild Bird Center (http://www.keepthemflying.org/) has several caged birds that you can pohotograph. Also, I've heard that during their feeding times lots of wild and free birds come to feed as well. Though i've never been there during thise times, I've heard it can be a good opportunity for close ups.

hope this helps!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much andres! I'll be sure to check both of those out. I'm particularly interested in getting some burrowing owl shots in flight. I'm not so sure about photographing caged birds but it sounds like feeding time should be great.
    John

Threads
    Thank You Posts

October at Fort DeSoto's North Beach isn't the best time of year, but you'll still get some great opportunities. If you are going to be in Dunedin make sure you check out the Dunedin Causeway as well, not just Honeymoon Is.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook