Thread: Upcoming total lunar eclipse

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Upcoming total lunar eclipse

There will be a total lunar eclipse the evening of Sept 28 (in the North American time zones). It will be best in the eastern half of the US or Canada. Where I am, on the west coast, the eclipse will occur shortly after sunset, which isn’t the best way to see it. Higher is the sky with darker skies is my preference, so I’m hoping to find clear skies somewhere at least as far east as the eastern part of the Mountain Time zone.

The moon is very dim when eclipsed, and a lovely reddish-orange, due to the filtration of light through our atmosphere. The full moon will be quite bright before and after the eclipse, with possibly a few bright stars visible. When the eclipse becomes total it will be as dark as a moonless night and if it’s clear all the stars will come out – a spectacular change to witness.

After this, the next total eclipse visible in North America will be in January 2018, and there will be another one in January 2019.

http://www.mreclipse.com/Special/LEnext.html

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/lunar.html

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the info Diane. We have been getting some lovely moons over here in Scotland the past week.

Will

Name:  5Q5B4059.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  264.2 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow -- spectacular!!

4. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post