Thread: Biting off more than you can chew!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Biting off more than you can chew!

We had been closely following this female cheetah over the last 3 days and as far as we could tell, (noticeably the distinctly flat tummy) she had not made a kill in this time, with 2 four month old cubs to feed she was becoming increasingly frustrated.

Name:  D04_5698BPN.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  350.7 KB

Twice before, on the previous days, her kills were stolen by hyena and she now attempted to take on this impossible task of bringing down a zebra foal with mum right by it's side,

Name:  D04_5703BPN.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  360.7 KB

I was still very impressed that she would even make such an attempt, it was all over in a few seconds, not before I managed a few frames of her futile attempt.

Name:  D04_5705BPN.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  381.3 KB

Name:  D04_5706BPN.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  369.7 KB

Name:  D04_5709BPN.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  369.6 KB

Ndutu/Serengeti- Nth Tanzania.
    D4 80-400 AF-S f/8 1/1600s ISO1600

Cheers
    Marc

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Marc

This is a wonderful surprise, thank you so much for sharing this amazing sighting!

Great timing here and a very unusual sequence portraying cheetah behaviour, I personally have never seen this species hunting zebra! I do know of five cheetah youngsters in the KTP who were so bald and successful to hunt Eland, but that was back in 2012. Never saw them hunting or stalking as such but did capture a few images of them at the kill. This is very special Marc, and also very moving, since this female had cubs to feed and went to the extreme to provide for them.

Love the wide spaces and blue skies, the other zebra in the BG did not even stir, did they become aware of the predator lurking about, at some stage?

Really enjoyed viewing Marc, lots of drama, and - given the story - I am not sure whether I want the zebra foal to survive or the little cheetah babies to be fed:) Being a cat lover I am inclined to wish for the cheetah cubs to enjoy that much needed meal...

I am off to Kruger Park for two weeks, leaving on Friday early morning. I am sorry I have been rather absent here, as well as on the other forums for the past few days, we will be camping and lots of preparation needed. I hope to bring some fresh images from this trip but not getting my hopes up, Andre has planned this trip in such a way that we will manage to avoid the "busy" places, unfortunately those are the most populated areas in terms of wildlife. But one never knows, I would be happy with any sightings, be it avian or wildlife, reptiles, I will shoot anything that moves, LOL. So my apologies for not being able to participate here for a while, I will miss BPN tremendously but one needs to get out there and bring the goods/shots, right?

Many thanks again Marc, wishing you a happy evening,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    This is very special Marc, and also very moving, since this female had cubs to feed and went to the extreme to provide for them.

Love the wide spaces and blue skies, the other zebra in the BG did not even stir, did they become aware of the predator lurking about, at some stage?

Really enjoyed viewing Marc, lots of drama, and - given the story - I am not sure whether I want the zebra foal to survive or the little cheetah babies to be fed:) Being a cat lover I am inclined to wish for the cheetah cubs to enjoy that much needed meal...
    Thanks Gabriela

The zebra in the BG were completely oblivious to this attempted hunt, I think they knew what the outcome would be and simply weren't too fussed.

On a positive note, we did witness her bring down a thommie the next afternoon and all the family dined well...........so stay tuned for that.

Enjoy KTP and wishing you both great sightings!

Cheers

Marc

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you dear Marc!

Off to the Kruger for a change, KTP next year:)

I so look forward to a surprise Sequence from you on my return!

Internet on and off tonight and I am just about finished packing, wishing you a wonderful week-end and see you in two weeks' time...Thank you so much for your contribution in this Forum, I so appreciate it

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry Gabriela....................I'm just so used to KTP being your 2nd home

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello again Marc,

Sorry, only replying two weeks later, we were camping and the comms were not great.

I miss the Kalahari tremendously, in terms of photography this Kruger trip has not been very rewarding and the weather was not favourable for a number of days. I hope to put together a few sequences though:)

The KTP is indeed my second home and I look forward to next year, for now I will have to go back to the local Game Reserves, LOL.

Chat soon Marc, have a lovely evening:)

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

7. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post