Thread: King Penguin Quartet...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default King Penguin Quartet...

Attached Images Attached Images

This image reminded me of a singing group....not sure what they were actually doing...maybe sizing each other up?? This was shot last November at St. Andrew's Bay, South Georgia Island.
    Shot in available light, handheld, Canon 1DX, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II + 1.4TCIII, 280mm, f/5.6, 1/1600, ISO 400

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great poses from all 4 of the penguins, and superb details throughout. Never shot penguins but I imagine they're a bit tricky with the colours they have.

I really can't decide if the background works or not. On the one hand I love environmental shots, and this fits right in with the mountains giving a real feel of the location, but it does fight for attention. Maybe one of the PP gurus could suggest a tip to tone the brightest parts down a touch.

I did consider that going lower and not having the brightest part of the BG against the heads, but then I think the tallest penguin might have got lost be hid the one furthest right so I think you made the right call in the circumstances.

I'm going to keep an eye on the responses here, as while I do like this shot, I think there may be a slightly stronger version lurking somewhere - just needs someone better than me to point out out!

Mike

3. Thanks Geoff Newhouse thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great looking group. The big guy on the left is obviously the bass. You might consider taking some off the top to make the white snow less distracting. My only other wish would be for the left bird's bill tip to be in the clear. Oh, and for me to be there.

5. Thanks Geoff Newhouse thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The BG does not look too bad to me and nicely depicts a nearby mountain. I agree in cropping down from the top though, enough to hide the blue sky in the corner - makes for a stronger comp IMO. I like the four poses, and their orange markings beautifully stand out. Neat rocky "perch"

7. Thanks Geoff Newhouse thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like this image.
    IQ is excellent and I love the group of 4.
    I would crop from the top by about 25% but still like it as is.
    Agree with Bill about the bill merge as that is what caught my eye initially when I viewed the image more critically.
    Would love to have this in my files. Just need to win the lotto to get myself to that part of the world!!

9. Thanks Geoff Newhouse thanked for this post
    Forum Participant christopher galeski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Loverly image,I can hear them humming,agree with others about cropping from the top.TFS.

11. Thanks Geoff Newhouse thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks everyone. Funny that when I was posting this my thought was...I bet some will object to the corner of blue and I almost went back and cropped but left it. Here is a crop as per the suggestions. I consider myself very lucky to have been able to go on my dream penguin trip last November. It was 20 days on a 55 passenger boat...Falklands, S. Georgia and the Peninsula. It was 100% for photographers run by Joshua Holko and Andy Biggs. I highly recommend it but I'm sure Artie's similar trips with Cheeseman's would be equally great. All I know is after that trip...I will be back...just have to pinch some pennies for a few more years....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a lovely scene! Must've been so much fun to witness live.
    I'm in the minority here, but I personally prefer the OP, and would in fact add a sliver more at the bottom.
    I haven't seen this species, but I'm surprised by the blue that the front, right penguin has in the whites by the neck/shoulder and further down (or is it a shadow?)
    Lovely light and details. I like this one a lot.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your repost is stronger.
    What a spectacular scene!
    The colours work beautifully against the stark landscape.
    Well done and TFS!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh yes, the repost is much stronger IMO!