Thread: Greater Yellowlegs.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Greater Yellowlegs.

Attached Images Attached Images

This past week I had a rare evening outing for bird photography (I'm usually a morning person). I headed out to my favorite shorebird fall migration patch and spent almost two hours lying prone in the mud and shallow water surrounded by a flock of yellowlegs, sandpipers, and plovers. Too much fun!

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/320s., f/5.6, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, almost FF (cropped after a slight .5 degree rotation), removed a single oof water droplet between the bill and foot that looked out of place.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel:

Great POV, shallow DOF, soft bg, raised foot, all good. Sharp and well exposed.

Only possible improvement would have been better eye contact, but it works well as posted, as it shows he is on the prowl for something, perhaps breakfast!.

Cheers

Randy
    Last edited by Randy Stout; 08-23-2015 at 05:58 AM.
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the surreal background with just a hint to 'ground' the bird. Excellent comp and techs as usual. Regards, Ian.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel,
    Excellent perspective and I really like the "searching" pose. Very nice BG too. Well done.
    Allen

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great behavioural image and I love the surreal environment and the raised foot.
    TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful sharp and clean image. I really like the exposure and the background.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes a delightful surreal image. You don't very oftyen get water like that over here !!
    JohnR

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great image Daniel. I love the raised leg, walking pose and great details on the bird. What I really like even more than the subject is the ethereal water and background. Very nice.

For those shooters who own a 7D2, I wanted to pass on a shooting tip that has worked very well for me for shorebirds like this and even waterfowl...try the Zone mode instead of the expansion or single point modes. The first Zone mode with a block of 12 points (3x4) works amazing and always gets the head in focus as it aims for the closest thing to focus on. As long as there is no foreground leaves or reeds overlapping the subject the zone mode is producing a much higher hit rate for me than my usual expansion modes. This shot just reminded me of that shooting mode that I've been using lately with success.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A lovely and elegant high key image. Having the bird a bit farther back in the frame would work for me.... a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel it all looks clean and sharp with plenty of detail ,birds Yellow legs stand out well, like this one a lot.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful soft light, pastel fg/bg, and classic Yellowlegs pose. Love it.