Thread: Grey Heron

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Grey Heron

Attached Images Attached Images

For many years I have enjoyed watching and occasionally photographing the heron featured here at my local lake/pond and the river. The bird would sometimes fly over my flat to feed on the local river. The bird had a distinct feature to its leg making it recognisable. When I created this image I realised the bird may have had an injured wing so I called the RSPCA out in the hope of catching the bird and sending it to an Avian vet for treatment. Two members of the RSPCA came out the following morning and we set about catching the bird. The bird could not fly but it could run like the wind. Sadly the wing was broken beyond repair so the bird was put to sleep. Back in December 2013 I made an image of the bird which is one of my favourite images. The bird is hunting by the river on a beautifully lit misty morning but it is feeding alongside rubbish strewed on the river bank. The image has impact but it lacks the formality of a 'BPN' type image, which is the way with many of my images many of which are urban.

Canon 7D, Sigma 500 f4.5, ISO 800, f7.1, 1/1250.

1st image Small crop, levels etc

2nd image full frame and no processing except down size for web.
    Last edited by adrian dancy; 08-21-2015 at 05:26 AM. Reason: error regarding image size

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think I would've loved to have seen the head plume in its entirety.
    Nice and tight comp-wise, but a bit of noise is creeping into the BG.
    Not sure why?
    Well done and TFS!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Many thanks for your comments and observations. I try to make it my policy not to respond to critiques but here I feel I must. The photographic details I have given are not correct and the image is in fact cropped but only very slightly. I have very many similar images and I selected the wrong one...so my apologies for the innocent misinformation due to my mistake. The degree of crop however would not have revealed any more noticeable noise. Low levels of noise do not worry me. I have included here the uncropped version with no processing other than downsizing for the web.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Over this side of the pond we would call that a Great Blue Heron, not sure if just different names or different species. Sad tale regarding the one with the broken wing. The post processing on your first image shows in the sharpness and detail. As you mentioned the second image looks like it has not been post processed. Beautiful bird, wonderful close-up view. Thank you for sharing, Adrian.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful detail on the OP Adrian. Sharpness looks real good. Very nice. I like photographing these birds aswell

Will