Thread: Outdoor Cafe

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Outdoor Cafe

Attached Images Attached Images

This is a cafe in Quebec City. I think it represents quintessestial Quebec City, with its European - style squares filled with old, colorful buildings, lovely flower boxes and outdoor cafes! I applied one of the Topaz Simplify Oil Paint filters, as well as a touch of Poster Edges.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's really pretty Wendy! I like the illustrative look and the bright, cheerful colors. Well done! My eye is drawn to the man sitting at the table on the left, I think he needs to have another eye cloned in.
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just my kind of ootb love. Reminds me of my trip there a couple years ago. Love the techniques you used. Agree with Kerry re the eye on the man, though. Also, the woman under the center umbrella looks as if she has a bandage over her eye. Love the colors!!! and like the two textures on the roofs.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love Quebec City too. Well processed. I might tone down the brightest umbrellas, the detail in the faces doesn't bother me. Quaint scene, just what you would find all over the "old town".

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful vertical lines soaring above the people and umbrellas. The processing is very nice and suits the scene. Love the colors. The flower boxes on the ground and the roof lines contain the scene. The faces are fine with me. You might want to do a Levels adjustment of white and black points. Because the image has such strong vertical architectural lines, I'd like to see the camera distortion corrected. I think you captured the feel of Quebec City in the photo.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, all, for your input. I didn't notice the one-eyed man! I'll following your suggestions, but Anita...I'm not seeing the camera distortion in this image. Not sure why I don't perceive it...I had difficulty perceiving it in a previous image I posted in OOTB. (Maybe because, although I have vision in both eyes, I only use my right eye to see?) Anyway, if you could describe it more fully / specifically, I'd appreciate it!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Kates View Post
    Thanks, all, for your input. I didn't notice the one-eyed man! I'll following your suggestions, but Anita...I'm not seeing the camera distortion in this image. Not sure why I don't perceive it...I had difficulty perceiving it in a previous image I posted in OOTB. (Maybe because, although I have vision in both eyes, I only use my right eye to see?) Anyway, if you could describe it more fully / specifically, I'd appreciate it!
    Wendy:

The distortion is minimal, and I'm probably the only person to be bothered by it or even notice it. No one else mentioned it. It is not a big deal, and the image is lovely just as it is.

I've circled in red the areas where I see the distortion, by which I mean that the vertical lines in the building--window frame, door frame--are not parallel to the vertical edge of the image.
    In the second image, I've corrected for this minor distortion.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Second version.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks! Did you use the Free Transform / Warp tool to correct this? I often use the camera-distortion-correct tool when my RAW images are in Camera RAW, but I'm not quite sure how to do it after they've been saved as jpegs.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Kates View Post
    Thanks! Did you use the Free Transform / Warp tool to correct this? I often use the camera-distortion-correct tool when my RAW images are in Camera RAW, but I'm not quite sure how to do it after they've been saved as jpegs.
    In this case, I used Transform >Skew in Elements 10. It allows me to pull a corner up/down or right/left. Sometimes I use the Correct Camera Distortion. If you are using Photoshop, not Elements, your tools might have different names.
    I've never done this correction in RAW. I don't think my version has this function.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi, Wendy, most everything has been covered but I would remove the black line on the bottom left edge. There was one on the right bottom edge going up but Anita's repost eliminated it. Nicely captured.
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/

12. Thanks Wendy Kates thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the bright colors and very nice use of the filters!

14. Thanks Wendy Kates thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice!
    Try Edit > Transform > Distort. Or you can do the equivalent in LR/ACR. In the new version there is an auto tool that will look for vertical and horizontal lines and align them like magic. Lens Corrections tab > Basic. Check Enable Profile Corrections and click the Auto tab.

16. Thanks Wendy Kates thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wendy, the composition and post processing is excellent. I appreciate the groups discussion of lens distortion correction.