Thread: Ringed Plover

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ringed Plover

Attached Images Attached Images

Ringed Plover

This image was created from a Welsh coastal promenade on a very bleak and cold winters day with gale force winds reported. The bird shown here, is taking refuge on the rocks during high tide. My tripod was mounted low and I made images only when the wild sea was breaking waves to avoid getting an ugly dirty grey/green/brown sea background. It is more by accident than intent that many of my images, it seems, are made in high wind conditions.

Canon 7D, Sigma 300f2.8, 2X non reporting Kenko tele-converter, Tripod with additional weight added to keep rig stable.

ISO 1000, f stop unknown, 1/400 sec.

Full frame (or small crop), levels and saturation applied, sharpening and highlight in eye dodged (to best of my memory).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful frame Adrian. Very artistic, I can 'feel' the coldness. Lovely low angle takes it up a notch. You can tell how cold it is from the expression on the bird It was well worth the effort. Great work

Will

3. Thanks adrian dancy thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If anything, I'd crop from the right and above to move the bird even more off center.
    Wonderful image in I am sure horrible conditions. I was going to mention the eye, but since it was so windy, I figured that's why it's probably squinting a little.
    Nice gentle tones throughout and sharp too.
    Well done mate, you're pretty dedicated. I'd probably be drinking cups of tea by the fire in these conditions.
    Thanks for sharing

5. Thanks adrian dancy thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'll take Florida weather over what you describe. Lovely little bird, nicely shown. The fluffed up feathers indicate just how cold it was, both you and it was trying to stay warm. Thank you for sharing, Adrian.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

7. Thanks adrian dancy thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ideally I would have preferred less of the BG rocks, but I like the image as a whole. The perch looks great, and the wind-blown feathers are pretty neat.

9. Thanks adrian dancy thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Adrian a great piece of artistic work, right up my street, you have really captured the moment.

Keith.

11. Thanks adrian dancy thanked for this post
    Forum Participant christopher galeski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

very nice capture,love plovers,like the BG and perch,nice detail in the feathers,and I agree with comments above about capturing the moment.TFS.