Thread: Peeping leopard

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Peeping leopard

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all,
    I thought I will start off this months theme with this head shot of this amazing leopard at Okavango, amazing coz he hung around and gave some splendid poses and opportunities for us. Here he was in a bush and decided to peer out to have a look at us. I liked how the leaves framed his head as he was looking out. I am giving you guys a break from my elephant images! Andreas, you can take over the elephants now :-) Now get ready for some big cats action!
    7D II
    100-400 II at 330mm
    1/100
    f/5.6
    ISO 800

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev - I too like the way he is peering out from the foliage and how the foliage frames the image. You really do have steady hands to get such great sharpness at a relatively low ss. Is this the same leopard you have posted other recent images of? Again his coloring looks a little light but that may be his coloring. You were there. Nice one overall.

TFS,
    Rachel

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice peering pose out of the foliage here, Doc.
    I agree with Rachel, it looks a tad light and I would run a luminosity mask for highlights at about 20% opacity...
    Some of the highlights look a tad too hot?
    Using selective colour filtering can turn this kind of shot into a nice monochrome...
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

5. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Sanjeev,

This is indeed a very special find!

Nice, clear view of this beautiful leopard in-between the foliage and I love the inquisitive look you captured. I agree on all counts with Rachel and Morkel, spotted some magenta as well, those few issues would not be there if you decided to convert to B/W as Morkel wisely suggested. The composition works perfectly and I like the foliage surrounding the leopard. That 100-400 is working so well for you, my friend!

I was naughty and borrowed your image for a bit, just to add a tad more sharpness and see those colours on the leopard better. Hope I did not make things worse... I played a bit, but I know you are the forgiving type, LOL. It is funny how sometimes we see things in other people's images but not our own, I am one who sometimes do my PP work in a haste and upload without "brewing" over the image for a while, only to see things later:) I just think it is good exercise and makes things interesting too, I could be wrong Sanjeev, but you are welcome to tell me you don't like my RP - you know I don't mind

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Rachel and Morkel, I will re look at the PP. the leopard was definitely a bit paler that others I have seen, maybe coz he was prob 16months old...?
    i will try the luminosity mask as suggested.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Gabriela, I do like your RP. I think it takes it to where it should be. I don't mind you playing with my images, you are free to do so my friend! I will take a beer in exchange for it when I visit you!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Sanjeev! Just one beer? I bought a new fridge last week, just for drinks...it's red, LOL, busy to fill it up in anticipation of your visit

Keep those images coming, I am amazed at the stuff you brought from this last trip, wondering what's next:)

Enjoy, PP work is great fun...
    Gabriela Plesea

10. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a wonderful image! So nice to see a close up of this beautiful animal. Those fine details really help us appreciate the eyes and the beautiful markings on his face. TFS!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev, love the eye contact here, and how well the surrounding foliage has framed him. Its always great to come away with a 'clean' leopard shot. It looks like you really got your monies worth.

13. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev -- This is indeed a beautiful frame surrounded by the foliage, the eyecontact and the sharpness makes this image a real good one . TFS !!

15. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Even without your comment re. the age, I would know that this is a youngster. I like the detail & the eye contact you have captured. Well done.
    Andrew

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev , well a very fine image of this stunning looking young leopard .
    Nice details and overall contrast .
    If this was mine i might go for a 7x5 or 5x4 crop to loose the HL on LHS of the frame as they are catching my eye away from the subject due to their brightness , plus i might burn the HL and 1/ 4 tones slightly .
    Sharpness does look great to me .and i love the clarity and eye contact .

TFS Andreas

18. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post