Thread: theme: grungy fishing boat

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default theme: grungy fishing boat

Attached Images Attached Images

End of the day fishing boat on shore. Used several topaz filters I was experimenting with. I do wish I'd caught the full boat (lower right) but didn't catch that til we were home.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hazel, the image captures the essence of a well used jon boat in its environment. I like every thing except the sky. To my eye it dominates the image and looks too unreal. Dialing it back closer to the original may be worth a try. I took the liberty of extending the canvas on the right. With a couple quick extensions, the boat acquired a left front corner. I did this using the content aware feature. It was quick and easy. My attempt to clean up the repeating patterns in the extension is crude. If you are not aware of this trick, I would be happy to walk you thru it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hazel, good for you for posting a theme image! I like the look you created for the boat and its surroundings, and Gary did a good job of adding the missing corner. The sky appears blotchy and I would consider cropping most of it away, which also keeps the focus on the boat. Those subtle colors in the boat add just the right touch to the mostly darks of the image. Good grunge work!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree about the sky but didn't know what to do with it. I'll work on it. I've heard of content aware but not used it. I have a couple photoshop books and will check that out. If I can't figure it out, I may bother you for walking me through it. Thanks. A big difference!!!!!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You could easily add a texture to the sky or blur it a bit. I am in agreement about it detracting away from the boat. Otherwise really nice processing and great re-work by Gary. Definitely worth working on a bit more.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks. I will. Will repost later if I can get it to where I want it. Appreciate all the helpful comments

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hazel, this could have been shot about 5 miles from my house I like it a lot and even better with the edge of the jon boat showing.
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/