Thread: Adult Semipalmated Plover.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Adult Semipalmated Plover.

Attached Images Attached Images

My favorite time of the year for bird photography is the shorebird fall migration. These guys start it early, with this individual photographed on July 20th...hardly fall by any means by the calendar. Shorebirds breeding in the far north start moving back south very soon after the young are born (which will follow suit later on, with beautiful fresh juvenile plumages). Here is one of those adults, sporting its tell-tale end-of-season "worn plumage".

To me there is nothing like laying prone on the wet sand, or mud, or shallow water photographing the various species of shorebirds, and the action will pick up during the next few weeks/months...bring on the migration!

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/400s., f/5.6, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, FF, usual eye work, darkened the very brightest whites (burn tool), enhanced the yellow eyering (dodge and sponge tools).

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image! The slice of focused area is delish! The bird is sharp and there is plenty of feather and fine details. Very nicely captured and processed!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

daniel:

Not easy to look up at a plover on the ground!

Lovely soft background, harmonious colors with the bird, well exposed, nice comp, sharp.

Sounds like it will be a busy and messy time of year for you coming up soon!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image, Daniel. Love the low angle and the nice background it created.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sounds like migration of these waders is a good time Daniel, really like the low angle you have got and the lovely feather detail on the bird.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great image Daniel. I love the two toned background and relatively clean beach with the green stuff just showing in the focus line below the plover. Good position of the bird, maybe a couple degrees of head angle towards us would have been even more perfect but otherwise no complaints.

I'm sending my birds south to you soon...will be sad to see them go from up north here....

TFS
    Geoff

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A beauty, Daniel. Great low POV, with very nice thin green in-focus strip. Looking forward to photographing these guys in the coming weeks; they're beginning to trickle into our area.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb image, Daniel!
    I love those birds, lovely framing and presentation and PP work just wonderful, this makes me wish to revisit some of my captures of the species but I am afraid not one looks as good...This is exceptional, ticks all the boxes for me - congratulations

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Magnificent image. Superb low POV. Beautiful BG and superfine details on bird.

Regards,
    Satish.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

All been said above. My only nit is that the eye looks a bit pasty which may be correct but would be improved with a bit of selective eye work IMHO.