Thread: Gentoo in the mist...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Gentoo in the mist...

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi everyone...this is actually my first time posting an image on this forum. I have viewed this forum for years but never posted anything. I've decided to change that as of today. Here is a sort of high-key image shot last November in Antarctica at Neko Harbour...

This was shot with 1DX, 200-400 f/4 IS EXT, 560mm f/8, 1/2000, ISO320
    Small crop and then just regular LR adjustments to shadows, highlights, clarity and sharpness.
    Hope you like.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, I do like. Welcome to BPN. A fine first image, IMO. Looks to me like you got the blacks just about right. The misty feeling works well. Only one question: is there enough room for the virtual feet in the mist, or should the bird be just a bit higher in the frame?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Bill.

I would have to add canvas to get the virtual foot room as that is the bottom of the frame. I shot this standing on the exposed beach and the penguin was up about a meter on the snowpack. The "mist" is actually just shooting through the layer of snow and not actual mist or even blowing snow. Just that OOF foreground affect. I may have been able to include a bit more "mist". I'm not one to use PS much and rely on LR for everything but I do agree that having some more virtual foot room is ideal.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Geoff:

Welcome to posting on BPN, should be great fun!

A nicely executed 1st post, using the intervening snow to blur the lower portion worked very well, and does give the sense of a low level ground fog/snow drifting.

The cool color temp gives it a cold feel.

I agree with Bill about the extra room below, and would consider adding canvas to get there. If that is done, you could also try a version cropped to a loose vertical and see how you like that.

Look forward to more.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love images of birds appearing from blurs. This is nice. I agree a bit more room at the bottom would have been better but it is not a deal breaker.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very warm welcome, Geoff

What an attractive image and I just had to open this thumbnail!

Nice POV and I am glad you gave your subject enough space to look into. Well exposed, I like the mist engulfing the subject's feet, and I too wish for some more at the bottom of the image if you have it.

Love that "too cold to move" look from the penguin, the beak a nice touch of colour, overall a well processed image I so enjoyed viewing:)

TFS, I am hoping to see more from you!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to BPN!
    Lovely first post.
    Randy has echoed my thoughts perfectly so will not repeat.
    TFS,
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Big, warm welcome to BPN and congrats on your first post and what a fine one. Love the feel/mood of this image. Would love to see more room on the bottom for the virtual feet.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all the comments and warm welcomes. Being a lurker on here for years I feel I know most of you but of course you don't know me!! I will crack open PS CC today (might as well get some use out of it) an add some canvas...or at least try to as I'm not that adept at PS and do everything in LR. I will post a new version if things work out!!

Here is my adding canvas and Content aware fill and I think this adds enough as penguins are stubby so legs are non-existant anyways...what do you all think? I also included a portrait crop that I think maybe positions the bird better as after adding canvas on the landscape version the bird seems too centered vertically for me.
    Last edited by Geoff Newhouse; 07-30-2015 at 08:00 AM.