Thread: Canon 1Dx question

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Canon 1Dx question

I am going to buy a Canon 1Dx and was wondering if buying a imported new camera is a bad idea. I wonder because is the only difference that it has to be sent back to the place of purchase for warranty work. Wouldn't canon still work on the camera for a charge. If that's the only real difference I think the $800 dollar savings might be worth it. Am I wrong in my thinking? For a purchase this big I want to make a educated decision. Thanks for helpful suggestions on this in advance.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Richard, to my knowledge Canon would take it that it's a 'grey' import which still staggers me, especially lenses, as a lens, is a lens, is a lens, however...

In theory what you say is the norm, but my suggestion is to get Canon to confirm directly with you what would happen if you bought i.e. in Hong Kong and then brought it home to the US, how does the warranty work, in plain B/W speak, then you can decide. The other point to note is the Tax duty when you bring it back into the country, even though in theory you have paid tax in the original country. Don't forget instruction manuals, but they can be downloaded, plus power source etc etc. Finally, make sure the serial number on the box ties in with the one on the unit and all the seals are there on the goodies inside, i.e. cables, CR Rom, manuals etc.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

In the US, if you buy a grey market camera it won't have any kind of warranty, Canon will fix it but they will charge for it. if nothing goes wrong it's OK but repair for a 1DX can cost anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand. Either way, make sure you buy from a reputable store and not those shady dealers.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for the replies. I think I am going to take my chances and buy one from a store by me. They have the grey market with a one year warranty. At least I can go into the store and check it out next to one thats not grey market. According to the guy I talked to said there the same camera nothing different so comparing them will show nothing different. But at least I can see before I buy. Again thanks for the replies

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Canon is very lenient on grey market and will at least service them although you will pay. Compare to Nikon that won't even touch a grey-market...not even sure if Nikon US will touch a Canadian one and vice versa which compared to Canon I as a Canadian CPS member can actually send my camera to the US service centres if I choose to. I wouldn't hesitate since the store at least gives you the 1 year warranty anyways and will help you deal with the process if needed.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Newhouse View Post
    Canon is very lenient on grey market and will at least service them although you will pay. Compare to Nikon that won't even touch a grey-market...not even sure if Nikon US will touch a Canadian one and vice versa which compared to Canon I as a Canadian CPS member can actually send my camera to the US service centres if I choose to. I wouldn't hesitate since the store at least gives you the 1 year warranty anyways and will help you deal with the process if needed.
    Maybe someone that knows Nikon will answer this. With Canon, we get a North American warranty. I confirmed with CPS that a lens or body purchased in Canada, with a North American warranty, can be serviced under warranty in the USA. I keep recommending Camera Canada to all my friends, but always tell the Nikon huggers to make sure their warranty will be good in the USA. It'd be good to know the answer.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

With current discounts you can get a 1DX from B&H for 4599.00 with full warranty
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy