Thread: The Power andf Joy of 50MP - 5DsR

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The Power and Joy of 50MP - 5DsR

2 weeks ago, the postman came and bring the new 5DsR to me.. what should i say.. i have never seen so sharp an nice details before with an dslr.

Here is an example.. i have done nothing but developing it in DPP from raw to tiff (no extra sharpening only the camera settings) and then make a crop and small jpg pictures for the web with Lightroom, no extra sharpening !!

Camera
    Canon EOS 5DS R

Focal Length
    600mm

Aperture
    f/6.3

Exposure
    1/640s

ISO

crop

Camera
    Canon EOS 5DS R

Focal Length
    600mm

Aperture
    f/6.3

Exposure
    1/640s

ISO

5DsR with EF 600/4L IS II F:6.3, ISO 800, 1/640sec from a hide (in my private garden!!) on Gitzo tripod with sachtler 8 fluid head

The 1DX is the action cam.. no question about it.
    but i am really happy with the details.. even my 100-400 and the 300/2.8L IS are working very good with this body.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow! This is impressive. TFS. Loi

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great, like the details and the level of noise at ISO800. TFS.

Cheers,
    Miro

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Eric, Thanks for showing impressive results. I traded in my 5DIII on a 5Ds two weeks ago and have also been amazed at the results from the new camera including hand-held and avian flight. The 5Ds has 1.5x more spatial resolution than the 5DIII with slightly better IQ than the 5DIII. It means I can shoot with my 600 mm f/4 II with a wider aperture and without the need to use a 1.4x extender. Regards, Ian.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

looks great for sure, excellent sharp details. I'll probably get one of these too for my backup :)
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

In focal length limited shooting, also consider the 7D MkII, with the same resolution, but, alas, no R-version.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Stephens View Post
    In focal length limited shooting, also consider the 7D MkII, with the same resolution, but, alas, no R-version.
    The 7DII is an OK option in good light but the image quality of the 5Ds is significantly better especially above ISO 800. See for example the recent DxO measurements for Color Depth, Dynamic Range and the Low-light ISO metric. The latter is the ISO at which the SNR measures 1000:1 (30 dB). For the 7DII they measure ISO 1082 while the 5Ds measures ISO 2381 - that's a big difference. Regards, Ian.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ian's right, the 7D2 files are soft and noisy compared to the 5D files. The pixel size might be close but the sensor, color filter and the low pass filter are different. The 5D series also has much better AF calibration.

Visit my blog

9. Thanks Juan Carlos Vindas thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    Ian's right, the 7D2 files are soft and noisy compared to the 5D files. The pixel size might be close but the sensor, color filter and the low pass filter are different. The 5D series also has much better AF calibration.
    I agree with everything except the comment about AF calibration. I own the 5D MkIII and the 7D MkII and find the AF acquisition and tracking and resulting "keeper ratio" to be the same. My 7D2 was an early model (in the first large shipment to stores), but I did not experience the problems that some others did with those early production models. There may be production variability, or problems with the some of the first batches. Other owners that I shoot with are not having problems either.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Stephens View Post
    I agree with everything except the comment about AF calibration. I own the 5D MkIII and the 7D MkII and find the AF acquisition and tracking and resulting "keeper ratio" to be the same. My 7D2 was an early model (in the first large shipment to stores), but I did not experience the problems that some others did with those early production models. There may be production variability, or problems with the some of the first batches. Other owners that I shoot with are not having problems either.
    I have tried several 7D2 bodies, in my hands they performed poorly. I have come across some folks who mention their camera is perfect and they can get sharp files, but when I view their RAW files tat 100% hey are not sharp to my standard. In fact I'd call them soft. I believe the problem is that folks have different definition of what is sharp/acceptable. Now, it's entirely possibly that there are exceptionally good copies around and you got one of them which is great.

Here is my take on 7D2 AF which remains unchanged after trying a couple of more recent bodies as well.

http://arihazeghiphotography.com/blo...-100-400-l-ii/

There are many mixed reviews of the 7D2 AF system, on this and other sites, whereas the 5D3 never had such issues reported by the folks skilled in the art.

The phase-detect AF system is very sensitive to manufacturing tolerance and calibration of the sub mirror assembly, and that's where the cheaper 7D falls shorts of the pro models despite having an overall capable AF hardware.

best

Visit my blog

12. Thanks Eric Dienesch thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The 5D is a "pro model". I didn't realize that.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank You all.. i am still pleased.. the image quality specially in high iso is not like the 1DX, for sure.
    but when you are in the same (comparable) distance the details are outstanding. it seems to have over all a little bit more contrast, sometimes harder contrast in the images.. above iso 1000 the grain seems harder, not so soft like an 1dx grain l iso 3200.
    but dpp 4.3. is really good with this 5sdsr, never seen this canon programm so good and usefull, even only for the raw development direct out of the cam with no changes.. dpp does here the best job ever ( i said the only FOR me, i never liked dpp very much)

just one more example, only open and make small with LR CC

Camera
    Canon EOS 5DS R

Focal Length
    420mm

Aperture
    f/9

Exposure
    1/1250s

ISO

100% crop

Camera
    Canon EOS 5DS R

Focal Length
    420mm

Aperture
    f/9

Exposure
    1/1250s

ISO

Camera
    Canon EOS 5DS R

Focal Length
    420mm

Aperture
    f/9

Exposure
    1/1250s

ISO

5DsR with 100-400 II and 1.4 TK III at f:9 iso 640 with 1/1250s from tripod and hide

and
    @arash:
    The Things that you are telling about the 7DMK2 (also on your side with the examples) are exactly my experiences with this 7D2. thats the reason, why i sold it..
    i had also an early modell , bought it in November 2014, Body-number began with 013xxxx
    Last edited by Eric Dienesch; 07-28-2015 at 08:44 AM. Reason: picture added

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Eric,
    Agree. Def. use DPP 4.2 for best results with your 5DSR, with the right NR parameters in DPP you should get very clean, sharp files even at higher ISO's.

Visit my blog