Thread: Like a Flame

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Like a Flame

Attached Images Attached Images

The Caracal is indeed like a flame...A large bundle of red fur, and cute as only a cat can be...yet strong enough to kill a young impala calf or anything of similar size. She even chases warthogs, I hope I will be able to share with you more images of this caracal at some stage, for now just a few frames showing the agility of the species and I hope you will enjoy this:)

Solitary and territorial, the caracal forages alone, it is a very special sighting if one comes across a female in the company of its young and I have not had this opportunity yet. This is perhaps one of the most agile cats and a wonderful skilled climber, not to forget those amazing vertical jumps I was once so fortunate to witness and photograph. The caracal is able to catch birds in the air - it is said that from a crouched position they can jump over 3m high! Like most cats, they always land on their feet... They are mainly nocturnal and feed on birds, mice, but also reptiles.

I apologise profusely for being absent in this Forum for some time, those of you who have been so kind to participate surely realise it takes a bit of time to process a number of images:) My partner's little ones are here for the holidays (just arrived from the Cape), and at work things have been rather hectic lately...But I am always around, lurking between Wildlife, Avian and Story Sequences...

Hope you have an awesome, fun, productive week-end...we are off to one of the local Game Reserves tomorrow early morning, hopefully some special sightings

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great looking cat and sequence. The 3rd frame is my favorite!
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Marina!

So kind of you to look and comment - really appreciate it. I will be back with more:)

Have a wonderful week ahead,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am so very impressed with this sequence! Stunning work! Indeed, #3 is the cat's meow ....but the whole sequence is even better! Impressive (yea, I know I already used that adjective!) focusing control and tracking. Each image reveals a slice of the scene in focus with foreground and background nicely blurred.

I look forward to more stories from you!

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - I didn't see that you had posted this. What a great sequence! Is this your friend or is this one out in the bush?

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Karen and Rachel

Just replying briefly, load shedding has begun a few minutes ago...also, I am cooking dinner for tomorrow (10 people, LOL).

I would like to thank you for viewing and those very kind comments, glad you enjoyed those few images!

Rachel, this is Lumi... Frames taken some time ago, all from a folder that has almost 1000 images...I have two shots of her chasing warthogs, just not enough to make up a sequence:)

Hope you have a wonderful evening, here dark and cold - winter has arrived...Will be back with more images soon...

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

7. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

WOW -- these are incredible! Amazing focus tracking with great compositions, and what a gorgeous animal!! I love cats!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you Diane,

Indeed this is one sweet cat, and quite a beauty - so glad you like her, I am afraid those images do not give her justice but I had to share:) Here's one of her chasing warthogs!!!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea