Thread: Like a Flame

Threaded View

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Like a Flame

Attached Images Attached Images

The Caracal is indeed like a flame...A large bundle of red fur, and cute as only a cat can be...yet strong enough to kill a young impala calf or anything of similar size. She even chases warthogs, I hope I will be able to share with you more images of this caracal at some stage, for now just a few frames showing the agility of the species and I hope you will enjoy this:)

Solitary and territorial, the caracal forages alone, it is a very special sighting if one comes across a female in the company of its young and I have not had this opportunity yet. This is perhaps one of the most agile cats and a wonderful skilled climber, not to forget those amazing vertical jumps I was once so fortunate to witness and photograph. The caracal is able to catch birds in the air - it is said that from a crouched position they can jump over 3m high! Like most cats, they always land on their feet... They are mainly nocturnal and feed on birds, mice, but also reptiles.

I apologise profusely for being absent in this Forum for some time, those of you who have been so kind to participate surely realise it takes a bit of time to process a number of images:) My partner's little ones are here for the holidays (just arrived from the Cape), and at work things have been rather hectic lately...But I am always around, lurking between Wildlife, Avian and Story Sequences...

Hope you have an awesome, fun, productive week-end...we are off to one of the local Game Reserves tomorrow early morning, hopefully some special sightings

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea