Thread: Osprey portrait

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Osprey portrait

Attached Images Attached Images

For several years now I've been wanting to get a good shot of the osprey in this tree, which affords them a good view of the nest. (They also favor a utility pole....) I've been shooting with the 300 + 1.4X lately and this day I put on the 2X for some portraits. The 2X isn't tack sharp on the older 300 IS -- the result somewhat resembles a soft-focus portrait lens. Possibly not helped by the amount of intervening air.

Canon 7D2, 300 f/2.8 IS, Canon 2X III. Tripod. ISO 800, f/5.6, 1/2000. I tried some at ISO 400, a little more stopped down and lower SS but they were softer. Hope to have a chance to try it again. Clearing morning fog.

Minor adjustments in LR and into PS to composite a thin strip along the bottom from another shot -- this was the best pose but the tail was a little too close to the edge of the frame. A slight amount of cleaning up along the bottom edge and some tweaks to the color balance. Slight brightening of the eyes.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

She is staring you down! I see why you wanted to include the tree in the image, great character to it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A superb portrait here Diane. I wished I had a portrait this close when I did Ospreys at the end of June.
    Given the light conditions and given you had the benefit of a tripod I might have been tempted to leave ISO at 800 and stop down to f8 or more.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice, Diane! Majestic looking bird/portrait!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks pretty good for 300 mm f/2.8 I + 2x III extender. I like the composition, perch and sky background. Very imperious look! Regards, Ian.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Diane, good eye contact, well exposed on the whites, and I like the feather detail too. I like your overall comp and glad you left space on either side of the nest.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love that stare-down! Great posture and position of the Ospery in "his" tree!
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, everyone! They both perch in the tree sometimes, and sometimes together now that the kids are bigger, but not close enough for a good shot of both in the same frame, even with focus stacking.

I'll be trying for more portraits, for sure -- will probably haul the 600 and big tripod in there soon.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the stare and the perch is one of a kind, Diane.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Diane,

Came across your osprey image as I was browsing through the Avian Forum - thought I should mention your post in Story Sequences Forum recently, for which I must thank you again:)

This is lovely and I enjoyed viewing, wonderful eye-contact and such proud pose! I sincerely hope the youngsters survive...

Wishing you a lovely evening,
    Gabriela Plesea