Thread: Theme: Grungy set

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Theme: Grungy set

Attached Images Attached Images

One of my jobs as a NPS Volunteers In Parks (VIP, see what they did there...) ranger, I get to do some interesting things, one of which is document film and television production that takes place in the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area. The area that gets the most use is Paramount Ranch, where I also conduct monthly interpretive tours. The ranch is still very active, and production companies are only allowed to film during the week (weekends are high visitation times for parks) and they can't shut down the property. So, the public can watch film-making in their local National Park Service movie ranch, Paramount Ranch.

I shot this inside our saloon building, which is normally just an empty room, save for a long bar and a shelf on the wall. When the television show "Castle" was shooting there they brought in an amazing amount of "stuff" to do their interior shots and this is just one corner of the saloon room. I processed the image using Topaz Adjust and Alien Skin Exposure 7 (an amazing plugin). Grain was added using the "camera raw" filter in PS. There is so much detail in even the small jpeg, but size restraints here put the quality down to 55% so much of it was lost. I also used two Flypaper textures.

Since the photos I take on these assignments are done as a volunteer to the NPS, they are in the public domain and I am free to share them as long as I credit the original image to the National Park Service, which I just did and not put my watermark on them which I didn't. I'm pretty sure this would qualify as "derivative work".

Edit: I forgot to say that, if your eye never stops anywhere in this image for very long then I've done my job. I like to break the rules!
    Last edited by Kerry Perkins; 07-08-2015 at 11:58 PM.
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the curtain as an entry point to the "behind the scenes" look. Love the processing, the grunge is perfect for this scenario. And yes, my eye wanders over the entire image.

3. Thanks Kerry Perkins thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, what a set! Great period pieces and it would take a long time to wander around the image which is great. I like the grunge effect that you applied.
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/

5. Thanks Kerry Perkins thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey how did you get a photo of my man cave, well I sure wish this was mine. Lovely treatment, grunge brings out the best. Well done

7. Thanks Kerry Perkins thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kerry, it looks like my basement. It's enjoyable strolling through the room. Good job with the textures.

9. Thanks Kerry Perkins thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Now I'll have to go back and find that rerun of Castle, one of my favorite shows, so I can say, "Hey that's the room!" Love the spread of redding color to pull it together. So much to look at! Adding grain to a picture often seems counter intuitive...we want sharp photos, yes? But this is just the right touch here. Yes, you did your job well (and obeyed all the rules:)

11. Thanks Kerry Perkins thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Michael Gerald-Yamasaki's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kerry,

Greetings. Well. my eyes were certainly wandering. Interesting shot that works well with the grunge work. Thanks for posing.

Cheers,

-Michael-

13. Thanks Kerry Perkins thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your processing works really well with this scene. The processing matches the busyness of the image. I like the frame also. Well done.

15. Thanks Kerry Perkins thanked for this post