Thread: Sleeping Green turtle

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sleeping Green turtle

Name:  sleepinggreen.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  392.8 KB

Having posted my favourites before I've dug a little deeper into my folders for one or two shots for this months theme.

This is a Green turtle having a kip at a site called 'The Caves', which is located at the rear of Kuredu Island in the Maldives. It is a breeding ground for Green turtles and you can just about guarantee a few sightings on each dive there. As the dive site name suggests, it's a series of caves, so the normal sightings are either turtles sleeping inside the caves, which you can't access for photos, or you normally see them swim past you couple of times each dive. I've done about half a dozen dives at this site, lovely place and only 15 minutes boat ride away from your 'decompression beer!'

However, this one decided to get his nap out in the open, and was more than happy for me to get up close and personal, this was within touching distance (although touching is a big no-no, as a French diver found out later on the boat - anglo-French relations were poor that day, and I think he learned a few new choice English phrases!). Shooting distance was about a foot away from the head and I left before disturbing him

Techs wise -
    Canon 7d in a Subal housing
    Tokina 10-17mm fisheye zoom set to 12mm
    ISO 200
    1/250th f9
    2 x Inon Z240 underwater strobes

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It is so very nice to see underwater photos! I have found underwater photography much more difficult than photographing on land!

Superb lighting! The subject is evenly lit and no evidence of back scatter! Well done! The DOF is just right for the turtle and the surrounding area. I never dove the Maldives, but did enjoy a week of diving in Papua New Guinea, albeit with a manual camera.

3. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Mike, love the overall colours and the fact you have the feeling the turtle is emerging from out of the depths. I might take a a sliver off the top, but just personal tastes. Adding a Luminosity adjustment layer, plus a Midtone Curves adjustment will bring more tonal depth & detail, especially to the more brighter areas. Applying a mask will mean you can then target key areas and be specific.

Have only dived with these guys in the Galapagos a long while back, but more recently in Barbados, but snorkelling that time, such gentle creatures.

Great to see some aquatic species posted, very cool.

TFS
    Steve

5. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really well done Mike., maybe a little bright on the head., incredible environment.

7. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the suggestions - any better?

Name:  sleepinggreen2.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  390.6 KB

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike - I'm glad you were able to go into your files and find one for the theme. I've enjoyed your underwater images and this is no exception. Nice job with the lighting and the rp takes it up a notch.

TFS,
    Rachel

10. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image just rocks, Mike. Love it.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

12. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Forum Participant christopher galeski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice image Mike,love underwater shots,repost is the one,nice colors and detail,like the subject.well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful and dramatic. The only thing that bugs me is that the right flipper is partially hidden behind that coral (???). a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.