Thread: A proud father

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A proud father

Attached Images Attached Images

Well this guy from last years brood is now a proud parent. I went back to the site yesterday and saw one new owlet running along the Willow branches, stopping, head bobbing, so now it's time to try and get some images of the new arrival. There may be more, I just did not want to spend too much time there and add any additional stress etc, to the wee chap, watch this space...

This shot was taken towards the later part of the day in April, a month later this old rusty milk churn was almost lost in the tall grasses and meadow weeds that had shot up. The background is a stack of hay bales. I quite like the soft textures of the plumage, juxtapose to the flaking, rusting milk churn.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Little owl (Athene noctua) on rusty milk churn, late afternoon, side on
    Camera: Canon 1DX
    Lens: 200-400f/4 Gitzo tripod/Unique ball head
    Exposure: 1/1600s at f/8 ISO1600
    Original format: Landscape, slight crop
    Processed: LRCC 2015 & PSCC 2015

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love your Little Owls, Steve. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve always a pleasure to look at " your " Little Owls , well executed as always .
    For me the " unnatural" perches are just not working that great when compared with the "natural" ones.
    Enjoyed viewing
    TFS Andreas

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve,

The owl looks superb. And I do share your liking for the contrast between the plumage and the texture of the rusty milk churn - I think it is something that you are likely to encounter in the environment of these birds, although not always as pretty as this one!

Gerald

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot Steve, I like the composition and the lighting.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks again guys, glad you like it, although I haven't quite floated Andreas's boat, LOL.

Andreas this was in the field I just brought it out and as they like perches then why not??? It also fills a few requests too, helps funds things for me. As I mentioned in the intro, for me this was more about textures etc then anything else. 'Natural' perches have been resumed and 'Junior' is a lot more advanced than I thought, he/she is now flying, albeit with dad around, surprising what is achieved in a few weeks away.

Cheers
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Jonathan, not quite Bempton and so rather envious of your sighting and locations, cagy as it's only 50 mins drive.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Steve , no problem with your view of things , i just prefer a natural perch above the old rusty unit , my personal preference .
    Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve,
    I am not sure about this image.
    I find the OOF white branch intersecting with the top of the head distracting. I would blend/clone/smudge /soften the lines in whatever way you find ethically tolerable!
    I do like the rusty perch and the play of shadow and light.
    I feel as though this image could be warmed up ever so slightly ie 50 to 100K.
    IQ excellent as always and gotta love the eye level POV.
    Gail
    Last edited by gail bisson; 07-03-2015 at 02:22 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the way the light comes in on this one Steve, colour of the Owl is spot on! IMHO,another vote for the milk churn.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve,i don't mind the rusty milk churn I have a site were there as been a rusty milk churn and rust girders and farm material for over 20 years, and they were there before the owls moved in ,so to me that's the owls natural perch ,it stands proud and suits the bird for is lookout point,.....I like the pose as to me knowing the birds its a comfortable one, I am not sure about the light (looks like a harsh light) and not easy to expose for ,it just looks a bit un even and not doing the bird justice ,just my opinion

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image Steve. Great shades of brown throughout. Beautiful details on the bird and I really love the POV and the pose the owl has given you. Great work as usual. Nice one

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys, appreciate the comment Will.

Well I can now report Dad is a farther of two, an awesome few hours this morning with both cameras in use in two separate locations, just crazy, need another camera body, LOL.

Keith will start operation HUB this afternoon, will let you know how things go, could find this bit of kit may be useful for your Kestrels, but this is the testing week, fingers crossed, nothing ventured, nothing gained.