Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common Loon with chick

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX 600MM
    ISO 800
    F 8 SS 1/800
    Taken early am in BC from pontoon boat
    PP: Cropped to pano, dodged the shoreline, levels, Detail Extractor at 1 % to the adult and I masked out the chick to retail the fluffiness, USM to JPEG
    Comments and critiques are always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

very nice Gail nice details great colors and the chick looking towards you is a bonus great work

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gail, love the light in this, and in turn, you have nailed the exposure - those greens of the head show up so well. Great to see the water's reflection rings around the neck too. Overall, nice and sharp, and I like the eye contact from the chick. If anything, I would maybe remove the second small catch light in the reflection.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gail, I am a sucker for loons and this a quite a nice image! Perfect exposure, pleasing DOF and the chick giving you the eye is wonderful. Very well captured and processed.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gail:

Nice poses from both birds, the chick esp. Do you know how old the chick is? I would guess 3-4 days based on the size.
    I like the shoreline in the bg, nice comp. Good choice on the f/stop.

My only suggestion for possible improvement has to do with the whites on the adult. They seem a bit dingy/grey. I am on my work monitor, and will recheck at home later.

Look forward to more!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gail lovely image with great low POV and nicely framed . Good overall colors and stones . I just miss some punch in the overall frame , i am with Randy regarding the whites and i would add the blacks do look a bit flat too.
    Still a very nice image .

Good job, TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely interaction shot taken just at the right height. I would normally say lower is better, but then you'd have had the bank cutting through the subject, so spot on for me

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful shot, with great eye contact from the little one. Good shooting position, as Mike just pointed out. Very nice colors in the water and background. I'm sure a little Levels adjustment of whites and blacks could improve it, but it looks awfully nice to me just as posted. Double catchlight noted.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice tender image, sort of dreamy with the background and light. Thank you for sharing, Gail.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely Gail! I am ok with the early morning light on both the whites and the blacks...enough definition without being overly contrasting. (maybe a teeny bit more on the whites). Beautiful comp. Really like the "little one" on-board.
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gail - Beautiful image and I love the chick looking at you. Great low pov and a pleasing bg. It's worthwhile to explore the suggestions. Might just take an already excellent image up a notch.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you all for the helpful comments. Here is a repost. I started from scratch and added more contrast and tweaked the levels. I also removed the catchlight in the water and smoothed out the brighter areas on the shoreline.
    There was a bit of a mist on the water that morning and I think this is the reason for the image looking flat. Hope you like the repost.
    Re; the whites. I didn't do anything to them ( didn't use DE) so hopefully they look better.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The repost looks better Gail. The contrast and levels adjustments really helped and the whites look "Cleaner" . Not that there are a lot of whites on this bird but I like to keep them "white" and not muted or greyed due to to much exposure reduction or burning.
    They look much better and true to the color. The catchlight removal helped also. The pose with jr on her the back and overall scene look fantastic and your details and colors are very nice. I would love to shoot a scene like this sometime in the future, guess I need to get up to BC in the spring and summer. Well done.
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image Gail. The repost improves an already great image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gail:

The repost is a significant improvement to my eyes. Foggy or misty mornings often need a little extra contrast and black point adjustment to get the image to sing.

Well done.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well Randy look out buddy Gail's a'comin!! Super shot Gail wonderful details colours and the chick is just the icing on the cake - congratulations.