Thread: Theme: High Key Loon and chick

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Theme: High Key Loon and chick

Attached Images Attached Images

This pair was imaged about three weeks ago in northern Michigan, on a dull and dreary morning. Almost no blue in the water that day, as the sky was leaden. The chick was 2 days old.

D4 600 f/6.3 1/640 ISO 1000 Flash with SB900 and beamer . Shot from my boat, "Loonie Too!"

Post: Minor crop for comp. removed flash catchlight. Selective sharpening.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent detail on the adult and such a bonus with chick onboard! I like how you made the best of a gloomy day to make the image have a look that elicits the eerie call of the Loon. I can almost hear it looking at the image! Thanks for posting!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Delightful subject, pleasing composition, good flash work and nicely processed to manage the blacks, whites and feather sheen. Looks like a winner to me Randy. Regards, Ian.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Randy.
    I like the sheen on the feathers- really adds to the image.
    I know the loon is riding down the little wave but I still feel this could use a bit of CCW rotation even if it is more of an optical illusion thing.
    Chicks' head on gaze is a winner.
    Gail
    PS Didn't look down the forum before I posted my loon and chick picture. I didn't mean to be a copycat!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy nice work great flash work nice details and good eye contact on both loons

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Randy, I like the different angles of both parent and chick, and the eye contact from the little one. Great use of subtle flash, which has brought out the colour on the parents head. I do like the high key in this. I can see aversion with a bit off the bottom to just below the dark part of the neck's reflection.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    Very nice Randy.
    I like the sheen on the feathers- really adds to the image.
    I know the loon is riding down the little wave but I still feel this could use a bit of CCW rotation even if it is more of an optical illusion thing.
    Chicks' head on gaze is a winner.
    Gail
    PS Didn't look down the forum before I posted my loon and chick picture. I didn't mean to be a copycat!

Gail: The more the merrier as far as loons, so post away! I looked at the leveling on this one for a while. There were gently rolling waves, but looking at the water just in front of the adult, I think she is pretty level. Her angle towards me certainly adds to the challenge of hitting true level, and there was no reflection to work off of.

Stuart: I can also see the crop as you suggested. I am trying to resist my usual urge to do lots of panos on my loons!

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Earlier posts have clearly articulated why this is such a pleasing image......I concur! Everything about the image imply works for me. It is such a clean image of the adult and baby.....adorable. Really nice work, Randy! TFS!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Randy this simply works on all counts for me .If there is something i might punch up the blacks for a bit more depth , but this is very nit picking .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Perfect rich blacks. The little one is just too cute. My first thought was for some rotation too...but I can see your dilemma. The chicks eyes are level. At times I've rotated images that were only due to illusion...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely, tender image. Perfect as always. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

As always, beautiful Randy. Nice iridescence on the neck. Chick looks "oh so comfy" riding the proud parent. I do not see that any rotation is necessary. The Loon's bill (looking horizontally) is in perfect alignment with your shooting/our viewing angle.
    www.mibirdingnetwork.com .... A place for bird and nature lovers in the Great Lakes area.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice high key Image Randy. I really like the monotone colors along with the pop of the redeye. Exposure and details look perfect to me and I like your composition also. Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks for the additional comments. Much appreciated. Always fun to try different styles for the loons.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS