Thread: Little owl late evening

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Little owl late evening

Transition time for the little owls at the moment ,with the female now out of the nest things will change for the little man,this shot came about with a few ideas of a new project and a idea from Mike pooley ,result tonight was a three hour wait missing a bit of action around me in hope he would land on his natural perch (non baited ) late evening ,this shot was aprox 10 mins to early for me but that's wildlife for you,even so I am still happy with it,taken with a loaned 500mm (thanks mike) but I reckon I can get the shots with my 300mm eventually ,canon 1d mk4 iso 800 1/320 sec +1/3 ev Name:  Little owl 1st July 2015 re size.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  262.0 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dennis, I like the pose and the reflection of the sun int he eyes. Good light too. What was the aperture setting? 1/320 is just a tough low SS, not sure how much of a crop as I would expect to see a bit bore details and sharpness with the 500f4. Loi

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like the Little Owls that I see
    Nice one
    John R
    Last edited by John Robinson; 07-02-2015 at 07:35 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If I had a choice I would use a more natural looking perch. I am not familiar with this species but wonder if a little more contrast is needed. I look forward to seeing more results from this project. Regards, Ian.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Wilson View Post
    If I had a choice I would use a more natural looking perch. I am not familiar with this species but wonder if a little more contrast is needed. I look forward to seeing more results from this project. Regards, Ian.
    Hi, thanks for taking time to reply,this is a natural perch for the little owl,in fact its been used by this male for the last three years ,that's how I know were to wait ,he will use just before sunset and a some time just after ,normaly if I use a set up I will look for a perch,but this is the little chaps natural perch in the group of posts that have stood in the quarry for donkeys years ...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Name:  Little owl 1st July 2015 re size2.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  276.4 KB

Den, I know the original is a little sharper than the one posted here, probably due to the compression, so I've taken the liberty to re-posting it with a touch more sharpening, which I think brings it closer to the original

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Mike.......

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dennis - lovely shot, Mike took the words from my mouth - certainly worth going back to the raw and re-sharpen. A bird that has completely eluded me to date, I am very envious!