Thread: Peruvian Pelican (Pelecanus thagus)

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Peruvian Pelican (Pelecanus thagus)

Attached Images Attached Images

Alongside the Inca Terns, several species of seagull, and other sea birds were the large majestic Peruvian Pelicans taking advantage of the incoming fishing fleet as the fishermen would clean and stack their nets while anchored in this Lima harbor. A fish market at the entrance to the pier from which this image was captured, provides plenty of fish scraps too. Albeit an overcast and a bit foggy morning, we were able to capture a few flight images. C&C welcome.

D4s, Nikon 500mm + 1.4 tc, 1/1250s, f 6.3, ISO 2000, Monopod.

Geoffrey
    Last edited by Geoffrey Montagu; 06-30-2015 at 11:29 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Geoffrey:

The soft light helped with a nice even exposure on the pelican and a soft feel to the image (a good thing here!)

Bird is at a nice angle to us, good pose.

The fishing boats in the bg are a very interesting story telling element, and add some color to what would otherwise be a pretty monochromatic scene.

In a perfect world, I would prefer to have the boats slightly further away to reduce their impact a bit, and not quite so close to the bird. Nice job on the timing however to capture this just between the two!

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well timed with the bird perfectly between the boats. Agree they add colour to a bit of a dreary scene.
    Great to be shooting in all kinds of light, at least that's my motto.
    Well done, thanks for sharing!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice flight shot, capturing the feeling of a foggy morning. I, too, like the added color from the boats. (Funny, I must have pressed the shutter at exactly the same time. I have a very similar frame, with the bird between the two boats. But since you were using a full-frame body, my crop-frame only showed the tips of the two boats -- not enough to show their character.) Nicely done.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Randy, Akos, and Bill.

Geoffrey