Thread: Most seem to use Canon on this Forum for Birds

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Most seem to use Canon on this Forum for Birds

I am new to the forum and I am really impression with the quality of the shots and compositions on here

I am a Nikon user with a 600mm f4, 300mm f2.8 and 300mm f4 ……. with a D750/D7100/D700 …… etc.,

I notice that most on here use canon equipment particularly the 500 and 600mm

I thought about "jumping ship" just over a year ago when I started to buy kit especially as I was waiting for a replacement for the D300 and also the Canon 600mm f4 seems to be lighter and get (slightly) better write ups than the Nikon 600mm f4, (non VR version, which I have)

The D750 has just about kept me with Nikon and I am hoping to grab a new 300mm f4PF which would help my "handheld" shots

Not wishing to start the usual Nikon v Canon debate, but it would be grateful to hear your mild views ……. previous to this forum I was and am greatly impressed with Glenn Bartley's use and shots with the Canon cropped bodies and the 600mm f4

Is it just that Canon are more popular in the US?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill,

Canon is the number one choice for most professional avian photographers primarily because of their selection of super telephoto lenses. The current MKII Canon super telephoto lenses are significantly lighter, focus faster and have much better performance when attached to extenders such as the 1.4X III and 2X III. Nikon's super telephoto lenses are a generation behind, they are comparable with the older generation (MKI ) Canon lenses but they cannot compete with the series II super telephoto lenses from Canon despite the fact that they are priced similarly.

Many here hand hold the Canon 600 MKII for BIF which would be very difficult to do with a heavy lens such as the Nikon 600.

Also in AF department, currently there is no Nikon body that is quite comparable to the 1DX when it comes to AI-servo tracking of fast birds in flight against varied BG's.

Nikon have many strengths in their lineup but wildlife photography isn't one of them.

Having said that there are many excellent photographs made with Nikon gear as well, you just have to understand these limitations.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Arash

can you explain it to my wife!!!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

If you look in the pit of any sporting event you will notice a multitude of white Canon lenses compared to Nikon for the same reasons Arash outlined. The 1DX with Canons super telephoto lenses are the best combination for action photography out there right now.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No, as Arash said, Canon are the cat's whiskers for a multitude of reasons.
    If I was allowed to, I'd instantly snap up a 1Dx, 600/4L IS USM II and the 2 EF MkIII converters without batting an eyelid.
    However, that simply does not mean that the older generation Canon gear is bad, or that Nikon is bad.
    Technology and gear constantly evolve and improve.
    In skilled hands all can take incredible images.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Would a switch be worth it for you? I think it'll depend on how you operate and if you're happy with the AF function of your Nikon. If you're not interested hand holding BIF and other super-tele shots, using your tripod almost 100% of the time, you won't gain much. I suspect that you'll gain in IQ, similar to what I saw going from the Series I Canon 500/f4 to the Series II. It is noticeable, but I was already convinced due to the 1.5-lb weight savings and the 2 extra stop of Image Stabilization. (You can hand hold over 1,000mm at under 1/100-sec. and get sharp results). Some would kill for the IQ difference alone, but the IS performance weight savings were huge for me, because I hand hold 99+% of my shots.

Canon also offers a very reasonably priced APS-C crop-sensor body with professional AF, the 7D MKII. The 7D2 AF only suffers significantly vs. the 1D X when using the 2.0x TC-III.

When will Nikon catch up? I have no idea, but you should consider that possibility. They have the ability, but it's a matter of will.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I started with a basic Nikon setup then just before I was heavily invested in gear I made the change to Canon and never looked back. The lighter lenses and the faster focusing are huge when it comes to action wildlife photography. I almost exclusively shoot hand held with my 600II and a 1.4XIII.
    One of my best friends and regular photog buddy is a Nikon shooter and is heavily invested in all Nikons best stuff. We shoot together every week and send each other photos of our outings. Canons dynamic range and colors are different, better in my opinion and I like their programing.
    We were together a few weeks ago on a photo outing and one of our friends asked if we thought one brand was better than the other. I looked at my friend and asked him if he had to do it all over again, would he have chosen Canon? His answer was" In a Heartbeat"
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com