Thank You Posts

Default Another European Greenfinch

Attached Images Attached Images

Strong Sun and Shadow Day
    pp in LR and CS6

Nikon D750 + Nikon 600mm f4
    f8 - ISO400 - 1/1250sec

SW France June 2015

As they grow up - I have been watching them since they "fledged" - they seem to squabble more and more, and some get really nasty - just like some of their human counterparts

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the details, and position of the bird on perch. BG tone is well balanced with the color of the bird. If mine I would add a bit of room (5-10%) to the bottom. TFS.

Cheers,
    Miro

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MiroslavMaric View Post
    Like the details, and position of the bird on perch. BG tone is well balanced with the color of the bird. If mine I would add a bit of room (5-10%) to the bottom. TFS.

Cheers,
    Miro

Thanks Miro - I have the space as it is quite a big crop …… cropped down to 1300 x 1600 from 6000 x 4000

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Light is a little on the strong side perhaps and I'd add more room below. More than your RP.

Good work Bill! Keep 'em coming!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bill,

RP looks better and I agree with Akos's comment related to the brightness. The new step would be to decrease the brightness of legs and perch.

Cheers,
    Miro

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You guys are hard task masters and are pushing my abilities to the limit………. but many many thanks I am learning a lot …… the images posted on here are at a "new level" for me

Here is the original and next edit
    I started again from "scratch" …… so the others could be better in some areas … and the perch could still do with a more careful mask

What have I done in LR and CS …… started using layers in CS during the past few days
    Increased brightness and contrast
    stamp tool on the blown white area in the wing
    darkened the perch and legs
    reduced background noise
    a little work on the eye
    cropped

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I quite like the longer range shot. Clone out the loser branch as it is OOF, then take about a third between the branch and the bottom of the frame (maybe a bit off the top to balance it?) and about a quarter of the right hand side leaving the tip of the branch hanging free so it doesn't cut the image in two. The colour of the bird connects with the foliage above it and gives a sense of environment.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hitchen View Post
    I quite like the longer range shot. Clone out the loser branch as it is OOF, then take about a third between the branch and the bottom of the frame (maybe a bit off the top to balance it?) and about a quarter of the right hand side leaving the tip of the branch hanging free so it doesn't cut the image in two. The colour of the bird connects with the foliage above it and gives a sense of environment.

More work on this sunny morning .. just finished my Shredded Wheat and yogurt and prunes, so I'll give it a go

Here it is ……… I think that the message that I have got from my first week on the forum is that I crop too tightly and process to much

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting, as your RAW file does not seem to have as strong a light in it as your posts that you've processed Bill. I quite like the light in the original capture, it does not look that harsh at all now. I suggest you obtain at least a 1.4x or a 1.7x converter to use with the 600/4 lens. It will increase the magnification for the images significantly.

The crop you want to do is very subjective and 100 people will possible suggest 100 different ways. However, this would be something I'd aim for.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ákos Lumnitzer View Post
    Interesting, as your RAW file does not seem to have as strong a light in it as your posts that you've processed Bill. I quite like the light in the original capture, it does not look that harsh at all now. I suggest you obtain at least a 1.4x or a 1.7x converter to use with the 600/4 lens. It will increase the magnification for the images significantly.

The crop you want to do is very subjective and 100 people will possible suggest 100 different ways. However, this would be something I'd aim for.
    As I indicated - from a week on this forum I think that from the comments I over process far too much

I have the Nikon TC14Ell and the TC20Elll which I tend to use more with the Nikon 300mm f2.8VR …… especially as a "travel lens"

Thanks Akos and all for your help and advice

11. Thanks Ákos Lumnitzer thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree that the original is best, and I like the crops showing more of the environment.

Don't use the Contrast slider or Saturation except in rare cases and very carefully after all other adjustments are made. Tonalities are best adjusted in LR with the other sliders in the Basic panel. For very low contrast images, try the medium contrast curve. It's a learning experience to judge pleasing tonalities and colors. Rely on the histogram for the whites and darks.

This would be my crop, but I'd tone the bird's contrast down a little:

Name:  attachment-1.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  66.3 KB

You don't want too much empty space but don't want the subject crowding the edges either.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Diane - really appreciated and gives me a direction to work towards

getting nearer is very difficult as I take most of my shots around and about where we live in rural france .. much of them on our and our neighbours land …… I do not use a hide, (blind) ……. but am thinking about building a couple in the next year, plus getting a small portable one, (the one I had fell to pieces after the second use)

My lens limit is a Nikon 600mm + a TC14 ……..the TC20 seem to degrade image quality too much for me

Thanks again and I hope that it is OK to ask advice in this section