Thread: Foxy failure

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Foxy failure

Attached Images Attached Images

While the humble red fox (Vulpes vulpes) is an incredible predator capable of adapting to any place and make a living, they are mostly hated in Australia for they are an introduced pest. However, yours truly can still only have the heart to shoot them with a camera, not a gun.

On my way to a raptor location one afternoon, I saw this fox hunting in tall grass beside the road, well, some distance back. I was able to quickly slip the 2x onto my 500/4L IS (always ready beside me on the passenger seat) and use a beanbag to stabilise the rig on the car roof. As I tracked the fox in the grass, I noted the tail suddenly stiffen and I figured that must mean it is excited about something so I was ready to fire away. My hunch was spot on!!!!

All shot with a 1D3, 500/4L (MkI), MkII 2x, ISO1600, f/11, 1/2000th. Didn't crop anything, it was painful enough to scurry five pics together and no noise reduction applied (Gabriela). Like Marina said on her Swallow-tailed Kite shots, I tend to like one of a sequencel; generally speaking.

hope you enjoy this gorgeous lady (I think she is a female) and sadly for her she failed to catch anything this time.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awww, check that swing of the tail, and those legs bundled up so nicely underneath! Great pounce!

Thank you so much Akos - we love to see images like those here, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading the story as well.

I am afraid your gorgeous Foxy lady is in fact an awesome and very fit looking male, LOL! Some clues under its tail, please look carefully

I just love this gorgeous fox leaping, looks like he is using the tail as a "rudder" here, a very elegant leap, body stretched to the limit in frame no 2. makes me think of an arrow:)

Just wonderful Akos, I thank you so much for sharing, really appreciate it

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gorgeous capture of their graceful pounce! I love foxes but rarely see one, although occasionally I find piles of feathers, apparently from a neighbor's chickens. I've seen coyotes do this, too, but never have a camera with me.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Akos - The sequence works really well despite the fox never cutting you a break and giving you a better angle.

TFS,
    Rachel