Thread: Another of the male Little owl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Another of the male Little owl

A little more activity from the male as the Female is (I hope ) on eggs, signs are all there although last year and the year before the female was out of the nest a lot more than this year ,normally two or three times a day ,however I will just have wait and see,i have decided to stick at the quarry site although I will still be monitoring the other two sites as this is my favoured site ,I have a few ideas for the coming months but its all weather permitting and only having limited equipment my set ups have to be bang on etc....taken a couple of nights ago with the 1d mkiv and the 300mm ,iso 800 1/640 sec -1/3 ev Little owl 19th May (1 of 1)-2 by dennis greenwood, on Flickr

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thats a cracker Den. Love the way the branch( and a nice one itis) frames the bird. Killer backdrop too. Your best yetin my humble opinion. You are right its the male hunting whilst the female sits
    John
    Last edited by John Robinson; 05-22-2015 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Omission

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dennis, not sure about the birds left eye it does look a little green but could be the reflection of it's surroundings ,that apart it looks excellent lovely sharp feather detail,nice perch and BG.

Keith.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the detail Dennis and the inquisitive look and the moss perch breaks up the the clean background. I assume this was baited, as there seems to be some fur (????) creeping in at the foot of the image? I think you may find it's the male on the eggs with the female hunting.

Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Like the detail Dennis and the inquisitive look and the moss perch breaks up the the clean background. I assume this was baited, as there seems to be some fur (????) creeping in at the foot of the image? I think you may find it's the male on the eggs with the female hunting.

Steve
    Hi Steve , sorry but its the female that sits on the Eggs ,I have done presentations on the little owl,i have been observing them for years ,the female develops a brood patch ,this helps with the blood circulation for keeping the eggs warm and I have never seen the male develop one ,she only comes out on average three times a day and its the male that does all the providing .....