Thread: Seaside Sparrow

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Seaside Sparrow

Attached Images Attached Images

This lifer for me was right up there with some of the more illusive birds. There were two flying and jumping behind marsh reeds and grasses making it tough to see, let alone grab focus. This image was one of a dozen or so. C&C welcome.

D810, Nikon 500mm + 1.4 tc, 1/800, f 6.3, ISO 1600, Gitzo tripod, Wimberley Gimbal head.

Removed a distracting blades of grass in cs6.

Geoffrey

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congrats on the lifer, it always feels great to capture something new on the list. Here, the image is a bit washed out, I'd add some contrast and sharpen the bird a bit more. I do like environmental portraits, but this scene is a little too busy for me.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The image might not be the best as presented but I believe it can be easily fixed.
    Great to have a lifer. I haven't had one for years now, and this bird would be one of them.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congratulations on the lifer Geoffrey. I agree with Lyle's critique.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

There's a lot going on with the image, especially the setting. The bird does not really make much impact and the angle of the head is not ideal either. I wonder how much you had cropped, as I am not seeing a lot of detail. If it's your first sighting, then great. :) What I try to do is get some keeper shots, then try to go for more creative photos. It's never easy. Keep it up! :)

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. This is the Seaside Sparrows environment and I agree it's a busy one at that. In the original, because it was quite shaded down in the grasses, I tried to lighten it and over did it. In the repost I darkened globally, and added a few points of contrast selectively on the bird. Sharpened selectively with Smart sharpen + sharpen tool in cs6. Would like to know what you think of the repost.

Geoffrey

Name:  © 2015 ***Geoffrey Montagu DSC_1432 Seaside Sparrow copy 3.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  225.3 KB