Thread: Nikon Monarch 7 10x42

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Nikon Monarch 7 10x42

I am looking for a pair of binoculars in the $400 - $600 range. Right now I am thinking of the one in the subject line. However, I know there are many experts here so I thought I would ask for opinions.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Are you using them for primary birdwatching or as spotting binocs for primary bird photography? The reason I ask is that 10x42s are pretty heavy. I do primary bird photography and I carry a small, high quality pair made by Swarovski. They're a little pricier than what you're looking to spend, but I highly recommend them; the Swarovski 8x25 CL Pocket Binoculars ($819).
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Allan. I have the Nikon Monarch 10x42's. We love them. I personally don't think they are heavy or bulky myself. I am 6 ft 6, my wife is 5 ft 4 and she loves them too. We meet you photographing the spoonbill at Fort Desoto a number of years back, remember? Anyway...I use them for birding, spotting and just general sigh seeing. Waterproof, fog-proof. Her in Maine we get wet and damp when we go out. You live in NH you know what I mean. For the cost you cant beat them.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have held the Nikon and it doesn't seem that heavy. I can buy a pair for $430 which seems good. :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Allan, I don't know if this helps or not.
    I've been using for a long time the old Monarch 3 and even with patagonian low light they do pretty good.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I sent away for a pair on Friday!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Zen Ray 8x43 for $329 shipped - better than the Nikons...also looked to buy used - check Ebay for example.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The monarch 5's are pretty nice, the 7 series is even better. I would maybe look at the 8x42's, there isn't a ton of difference between 8x and 10x as far as magnification, but the 8x let's more light in and has a much wider FOV.

My personal favorites are swarovski 8x32 swarovisions. small, lights, wide fov, sharp, but $$$