Thread: Canon 1.4x extender

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Canon 1.4x extender

I have updated the 7D and 100-400 to the Mk 2 versions and was wondering whether there would be any advantage in a step up from the 1.4x ii extender to the 1.4x iii version. I know that the latest version has a built in chip but not sure whether this makes any difference to the focusing speed of the 7D Mk ii. I have been trying to capture BIF with the extender mounted but found that it is slow to focus and also that the focus is a bit hit and miss. It is fine with stationary birds. Any advice most welcome.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The best advice would be; not to use the extender for BIF on the 100-400 Mark II.
    I have both extenders, by the way, Mark II and Mark III and the same camera and lens as you but
    I don't know the difference.
    When I shoot with the 7D Mark II, I don't use extenders neither on the 100-400 nor on the 500.
    Others might have a different approach so wait what others have to say.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David,

To answer your question, the chip in the MK III extenders can only talk to the CPU in the 300,400, 500 and 600 MKII super-telephoto lenses , and it's most effective with the 1DX. They have been matched together. It is not going to make a difference with 100-400 II and the 7D2 in terms of AF.

best
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting to know Arash. I just got the new 1-400 and shot it this weekend with my 7DII and a 1.4II and was pretty happy with it, pic here. I was just about ready to order the 1.4III. I knew it would not matter with my 500v1 but figured it would make a difference with the 1-400II on my 7DII or the 5DIII.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Subolefsky View Post
    Interesting to know Arash. I just got the new 1-400 and shot it this weekend with my 7DII and a 1.4II and was pretty happy with it, pic here. I was just about ready to order the 1.4III. I knew it would not matter with my 500v1 but figured it would make a difference with the 1-400II on my 7DII or the 5DIII.
    Hi Joe, it wouldn't make a difference with that lens and the 7D2 or the 5D3. For long focal lengths you would get much better results with your 500 rather than 100-400 II + TC. it is not only sharper but it will also focus a lot faster with your bodies.

hope this helps
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ari totally agree on the prime being faster. My main reason for getting the 1-400II was an upcoming trip to Africa this August, my thinking was to put it on the 5DII and keep the 500 prime on the 7DII.