Thread: Nature photographers and nature...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Nature photographers and nature...

This is quite a frustrating report about the concerns in Singapore about how some 'nature photographers' are being (shall we say) over enthusiastic in their eagerness to 'bag' another species

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore...otography-boom

It should serve as a reminder that we are there to observe, not interfere no matter how enthusiastic we are.

2. Thanks David Stephens thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The problem, to me, is one of how you regulate human behavior. At what point does what behavior become intrusive? Calling in a bird is an easy example. Should this ever be allowed? Not allowed during nesting season? What about "distance from the animal"? I have seen birds take off when I am 1/4 mile away, did I flush them? I have also walked around a bush to suddenly find myself 10 ft from a Snowy Owl that just sat there and stared at me, it could have cared less. I hate "combat photography" just as much as anyone, I just have no clue how you can reasonably regulate these kinds of things. They try in places like the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone with the bears, of course the consequence for being too close there may be a once in a lifetime event.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I know what you mean, Bill. If it is one-on-one flushing then you could say it is no different to any other animal passing by and spooking it.

I don't know how true it is, but I recall reading about a rare visitor blown over to the UK a few years ago attracted so many bird watchers eager to see it that the hustle and bustle stressed it so much is reportedly died, probably from starvation. And that from a group I think should have known better: each person can, I guess in their own mind justify being there but the collective impact can be significant and sometimes people just need to stand back and ask 'why am I going'.

5. Thanks Sandy Witvoet thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

We had a similar thing happen here when a couple of Long-eared owls showed up at a local spot where we often see Short-eared owls. These two owls for some reason set up in bush right on the main path and next to the parking lot. One was found dead after several weeks, and the cry of "too much pressure" went out. As I recall, but I can't find the article now, the necropsy showed the bird was heavily infested with parasites. We all wondered why they picked that particular tree to roost, and why they didn't just move further out.

Interesting that Troy started a similar thread today.

7. Thanks Don Nelson thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Related to this is the story in the latest edition of Audubon magazine about enthusiastic photographers getting too close to Roseate Spoonbill nesting sites in Florida, stressing out the birds, and in some cases causing some of the parenting birds to abandon their nests.

OK I guess the post by Troy Lim is related to my post. The photo he posted certainly confirms the incident. If the rule or law says to keep 500 ft distance it appears the photographers are a lot closer. Hey, I'd love to get as close to some birds too, but there are guidelines and we should respect them.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Luz View Post
    Related to this is the story in the latest edition of Audubon magazine about enthusiastic photographers getting too close to Roseate Spoonbill nesting sites in Florida, stressing out the birds, and in some cases causing some of the parenting birds to abandon their nests.

OK I guess the post by Troy Lim is related to my post. The photo he posted certainly confirms the incident. If the rule or law says to keep 500 ft distance it appears the photographers are a lot closer. Hey, I'd love to get as close to some birds too, but there are guidelines and we should respect them.
    There is no 500 ft rule for Spoonbills they are not on the endangered species list the boat pictured in the article was not breaking any laws which was also stated in the article. Also the article at no times states that any Spoonbill nest where abandon or that any harm has been caused to birds all the biologist says is that it may cause harm. What the article does not mention are the numerous rookeries in Florida that the general public has easy access to like Wakodahatchee or Gatorland where the birds see more foot traffic in a single day then the Alafia Banks sees in ten years from photographers yet those birds thrive at those locations but for some reason great harm is being done to the birds on the bank which goes against all evidence. Their are Spoonbill nest at Alligator Farms and Gatorland and Wood Storks on the endangered species list nest each year at Wakodahatchee and over a hundred people a day come within 500 feet of those nest Florida is a big state there are plenty of areas around for the birds to nest in if they felt the need to leave the banks. The greatest danger to our birds in Florida is the complete and utter miss management of the water supply in lake Okeechobe and the Everglades for agricultural interest not photographers obeying the laws.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

10. Thanks Don Nelson, Grady Weed thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Digital has obviously changed the nature photography landscape so to speak. There have been places in the US which look quite a bit like the image from Singapore.

As far as the audubon article, don't believe everything you read. As Don stated, there is no 500 foot law or guideline for that matter and the birds are not being disturbed out there. They are more often than not being disturbed by the very people patrolling the area when they climb into the mangroves to perform bandings, or by all the dredging in the area which has disbursed nesting colonies, the issues with erosion b/c of the large vessels passing through the channel. The list goes on but nature photographers are not the issue. Audubon just wants you to think they are.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

12. Thanks Grady Weed thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Money is the issue here. If you can write an article, post a few images to "back up your story" or seem to, then you can get people angry, donate money to your cause so you can continue "your research". How convenient to take an image of a local guide with the name on the side of the pontoon for everyone to recognize. What better way to get the wire service to pick up your story and more people to read it, more donations to the cause!

When you have untrained people who have a passion for the cause patrolling the waters, you will have conflict, no questions about it. And they want it that way. Conflict gets attention. Attention brings more money. And as long as their are people their will be conflict. We tend to act like we own things that we don't. Then we tell others what to do when we don't have the authority to do so. That word "Authority" its a big one.

Sorry folks. I feel very strong about this one. I lived in Tampa for 27 years. Its my home still. Family lives there. Including the owner of the boat in the image. He's my friend and brother. Marina is right. Don't judge a person or hobby or profession by a picture that was taken by some who have an agenda.
    Last edited by Grady Weed; 05-08-2015 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spelling! ug!

14. Thanks Don Nelson thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dewey View Post
    We had a similar thing happen here when a couple of Long-eared owls showed up at a local spot where we often see Short-eared owls. These two owls for some reason set up in bush right on the main path and next to the parking lot. One was found dead after several weeks, and the cry of "too much pressure" went out. As I recall, but I can't find the article now, the necropsy showed the bird was heavily infested with parasites. .
    Too much pressure = stress
    Stress will -as we all know- affect our health and will impair the ability of the immune system to fight off pathogens (including endoparasites), and reduce the ability to maintain proper grooming. This can become a death-spiral.
    So maybe "too much pressure", i.e. increased stress was a contributing factor to led to the end of that bird ........ Who knows?

Fact is that we and our presence as birders or birdphotographers or dogwalkers or cyclist ... have an impact on wildlife! This may not be always as obvious as birds taking off or critteres running away from us.
    Even if they stay put or move closer it may happen "stressed" with no visible indicators for us.

Stating that scientists, birders, disturb animals is no excuse/justification to do the same as birdphotographer and vice versa.