Thread: Magpie portrait

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Magpie portrait

This morning on the beach.A magpie came really close to my hide setup, this picture is around 50% crop.
    D7000 500mm P manual focus + tc-14b 720mm f11 ISO 800, little bit of sharpening, color fringing removal and levels in postproduction.
    The "P" is indeed a supertele quality, even with the converter.

Name:  svraka web2jpg.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  266.1 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's nice to see such close-up details. I didn't realize they look so much like crows (well, to me, anyway). You had nice soft light and got nice details in the blacks.

I don't know that lens but you got good sharpness in the plane of focus. With so much magnification of a closeup subject, depth of field is always small. It's always a challenge to try to get the subject to give you a head angle that out the beak in the same plane as the eye.

3. Thanks Dilom Ski thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Diane.These Magpies are always suspicious and when when the come close thats a compliment for my hiding technique:)
    DOF and F-stop is crutual when playing around 5-8 meters from target with 500, or in this case 720 mm (over 1000mm in FF).Even at f11, its still not more that 2-3cm.Thats why I am always closing the aperture in this cases, maybe when/if I get a autofocus 500mm prime I will shoot more wide open, but for now is a challenge.
    As for the sharpness, I use smart sharpen in Photoshop, plus I lightned the darks and lowered the contrast to get more detail in feathers.I suspect that the lens is going to perform even better with a body without AA filter (d7100,d7200,d810), because to be honest, pictures with d7000 look a bit like shooting through a window.Is good to have .raw to fix more of that:)