Thread: Theme: Sage Thrasher Singing in the Sage Brush

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Theme: Sage Thrasher Singing in the Sage Brush

This was a first for me, I had heard these were in the area I was photographing Bluebirds, and when I suddenly saw this bird as I was driving, in the sage just off the road and luckily on the driver's side, out came the beanbag and away we go! I have not seen a songbird sit in one spot singing nearly as long as this bird did. Kept hoping for a take-off, but when the bird did, rather than a take-off it was a rather depressing "hop-down" instead. That being said, they have an absolutely beautiful song.

Tech specs. Beanbag on car window. Nikon D7200, ISO 320, 1/1600, f5.6, 680mm ( 400mm f2.8 plus 1.7TC). Nothing special in processing, other than removing a small branch that was sticking into the left side of the birds head.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

We had one representative of this species about 100 km where I live in 2006.
    We rushed over to find lots of birders and a few photographers.
    If I remember correct, it was the only one ever to be found in Ontario.
    Nice image, by the way.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Karl. I had no clue about these being in the area until I was speaking with a birder when there. We saw a couple further away, this one was just very cooperative. That is great to find such a rarity. We had a couple of Long-eared Owls here this winter in a very accessible spot. It was often like the freeway at rush hour with all the people there. Puzzling to me that the birds did not simply move to a tree further off the beaten path, they did not have a nest where they were perching.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Always love a good calling pose in my images. Nice head turn with details in those facial feathers. I would give it a tad more on the bottom. Is this a large crop?
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a fairly big crop, as often happens with these small birds. I would guess maybe 70% of so. Birds eye is almost dead center in the frame. Not much left below, more space above. When I cropped this image I looked at leaving more of the sage, but decide for my own taste that I liked more sky than bush, felt that if put the birds head right at the 3rds boundary, I could move the crop down a bit and still stay with the 3rds. Another one of those cases when I think I could make a number of different crops that would work.

One other point, I generally crop to the same aspect ratio I shoot, 18x12, but then of course I crop to paper size when I print. Many of the prints I do are 18x12 printed on 13x19 stock, so this is where I usually begin the process.

Thank you for the comments on the head post and feathers. The head position is one reason I chose this out of the bunch. I was tempted to clone out the little feathers that you can see "inside" the beak, but then I decided I kind of liked those as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Since I am seeing some degredation in the image from a large crop and I Feel it's a bit tight in the frame, I think I would give it more space on the right bottom and left. It would improve the image overall.
    Marina Scarr
    Website, Facebook

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Where are you seeing degradation? Why would the image be improved with additional space? If I were looking for an environmental portrait, I would certainly agree that more foliage would be appropriate. I could post the original this evening if you would like to show me what you feel would be a better crop and why. That might help me to get a better visual understanding.

Thanks for the input, this is how I continue to learn.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The reason I asked you if this was a large crop was b/c the details in the bird's feather esp around the head didn't look to be as evident as I would expect with a smaller crop. I also feel as though the crop is tight esp on the bottom. Therefore, to help with the IQ and comp, I would add a little to the right bottom and left and recrop. I am not suggesting an environmental, just something where the bird has a bit more room esp at the bottom.
    Marina Scarr
    Website, Facebook

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Marina. When I get home tonight I will go look at that, and compare with reference photos. One thing I often run into, especially with a bird that I am not familiar with, is not really knowing exactly how it should look. Not being a birder, I just look at something I like and look for a "pleasing" picture. Crops are always such a challenge for me, as I can generally find a bunch of them that I like for most images, the tough part is which is the "best", and that of course is also tough as it so often depends on the "eye of the beholder".

Thanks again for the details, this certainly does help.